What's new

Smoking...

Does anyone here smoke cigarettes? Has anyone successfully quit?

I've been smoking for about five years now. I'm not sure why I do it, because I really don't enjoy it that much. I know it's cliche to say it, but I don't think I'm addicted.

It's done a lot of damage to my skin, though, and I'm young - dryness, lines, clogged pores, blackheads, etc.

I have a tendency to quit every summer and then start again in the fall. I think I'll try and quit for good this time.

Mind over matter. You've made the decision. Now....figure out how much you spend on smokes, determine what that would buy in brushes, razors, cream or soaps, and put your willpower to work! Just picture that new brush in your shave den...nothing to it!

Randy

That's true. Very true.

I'm a very emotional person. Smoking is my way of balancing myself when I get frustrated, angry, sad, etc. It doesn't do a whole lot, but it calms me just a little.

Still, you have a point. And the bigger point is that it's killing me. I'll have to find another way to cope. Like attacking people on the street. Or wrestling bears.

I smoked as an undergrad, after I quit playing sports. Many people disagree but IMO (and for me personally) it was a matter of making a decision and sticking to it. I never wanted to mess with patches or gum because it was just something else to get hooked on. You've made up your mind, stick to your guns, you can do this. Be strong. :thumbup:

I started smoking (a pipe; when I was 10 my mother made me promise her to never smoke cigarettes) about five years ago. I continue smoking partly because pipe tobacco (and the occasional cigar) tastes really good, and partly for political reasons. I'm also a big fan of mentholated snuff.

I don't imagine I'm addicted; I never smoke on Shabbas and have been known to forget to smoke for days at a time. Still, until my gov't decides to recind their anti-choice smoking laws, I'll be a smoker.

S

sullivanpm

I smoked for about 7 years, Lucky Strike unfiltered. one to four packs a day
I started when I was 19 and quit when I was 27. When I started I was in great shape and the smoking didn't affect my athletic pursuits, but after I quit exercising I couldn't go back to it cause I couldn't breathe.
I quit cold turkey Dec. 24 2004 when my wife told me she was pregnant.
It was a rough couple of months. I was a little shaky for the first few weeks and the cravings didn't disappear for about a year.
The thought of endangering my child through second hand smoke was enough for me to quit.
If you really want to quit you will.

M

modern man

Hard core smoker here. I know I am going to die.:ohmy:

I have quit a few times but everytime I go on Deployment I start right back up.

I smoked ciggys for years, and years, and still have the occasional one, though the vast majority of tobacco intake is either cigars or pipes.

Personally, I believe there's both kinds of addiction, mental and physical, associated with tobacco.

I know ciggys are a dirty filthy habit that will kill some day, but I tend to live for today and sometimes, there's nothing better than a smoke and a coffee watching a sunrise or a sunset, and there's times you don't have time for a bowl or a full cigar.

I just found out that there's a brand of cigarettes out that are made with Perique tobacco. I love VaPer pipe baccys, so I may have to see if I can score some of those.

Add up the annual cost and think about all of the shaving supplies you can buy with that kind of cash.

I smoked for ~15 years, mostly rolled my own (no, not that kind). Perhaps, like traditional shaving, I enjoyed the ritual of rolling as much as the relaxation of the smoking. The last few years I made the switch to cigars/pipes. Over a year ago I gave up all tobacco and have really only missed a cigar with my morning coffee.

You will only quit if and when you really want to quit. Put them down and be done with them.

When I decided to quit, I used Commit lozenges and they worked for me. Gum and the Patch didn't do any good but the Commit really got me through it. IMO the deciding factor is your mental readiness to give them up. If you are not quitting because you want to stop, nothing will make you do it. When you are trying to stop to make other people happy, you will seldom succeed.

Good luck and I hope you decide to do it.

-Scott

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
I don't smoke, never have ... so I can't offer any suggestions on how to quit ... but kudos for trying to quit and I hope you make it! The health issues are just too big not to!!:scared:

I smoke a pipe quite a bit and the occasional cigar. I use to be a heavy cig inhaler but the pipe is much more enjoyable and 100X's tastier.

I still smoke a cig, but it's mostly roll your own and it's tobacco that I've pressed, stoved and aged myself, so it's 100% organic with absolutely no additives.

After 36 years of unfiltered Camels and taking the position that any coward can quit smoking ....... it takes guts to face lung cancer, heart disease, emphysema and low birth weight........ I quit cigarettes seven years ago.

I still smoke a pipe but I have never inhaled the pipe so my wind and general health have improved considerably. Now I have been thinking of quiting the pipe as my endurance for my passion , mountain biking, would improve but pipe smoking is a passion as well.

Best of luck quitting, the patch seems to work for some people.

I smoke cigarettes, and really have no desire to quit. I enjoy it.

However, my sister just got some pills from the Dr. and she said she doesn't want a cigarette. It has only been two weeks for her, but she said she has not had more than 2 hours sleep a night since she started taking the pills.

Also, a friend of mine had some kind of accupuncture and has been smokefree for a year. He said they still smell good, but he just doesn't want one.

I smoked for nearly 20+ years (I just turned 37)...quit a year ago this month. I started weaning myself off of the cancer sticks looooong before I quit. When I quit I was down to about 1-3 per day, which to a hard core smoker, isn't that much. So it really wasn't that hard.

FWIW, prayer works wonders if you really want to quit.

I smoked for ~15 years, mostly rolled my own (no, not that kind). Perhaps, like traditional shaving, I enjoyed the ritual of rolling as much as the relaxation of the smoking. The last few years I made the switch to cigars/pipes. Over a year ago I gave up all tobacco and have really only missed a cigar with my morning coffee.

You will only quit if and when you really want to quit. Put them down and be done with them.

I've always wanted to get some good tobacco and roll my own cigarettes at least once in my life, just pretend it's a little cigar. It would make me feel like Bogart, but I'm too embarrassed to buy rolling papers.

I really enjoyed rolling my smokes. It was a little moment of zen. Then of course, once the art of was down you had to experiment: roll with one hand, multiple papers, the perfect roll.

It was a sad day when Drum left our shores. Then when it re-emerged I was so excited. I picked-up a pouch and was severely disappointed. DE had sold the name to Republic Tobacco...it was an awful shag, Drum in name only. There was also a lovely Virginia tobacco called Three Castles- a rich and flavorful smoke that also went away. I have heard it is back but I don't partake anymore so I don't know if it the same blend. Of course, there is always American Spirit but it is such a wide cut and dry that rolling was a tad trickier.

I started smoking cigarettes when I was 16. I tried to quit many many times. With almost every method. One day about 7 or 8 years go I woke up and said I quit. Cold Turkey. About a year ago I started cigars and this month a pipe. I can have cigarette every once in a while, but I don't like them anymore.

I started back in high school. I've successfully quit now. I sometimes break down once a month and bum a cigarette, usually when drinking. I quit because I started backpacking a lot more this past semester. It also isn't very popular with the ladies.

Top Bottom