What's new

Any recommendations for a shaving cream

Hello, everyone.

This information is important and very practical to me.

I like DE shaving, including the experience and the closeness of the shave. However, preparing for my shave, specifically the dealing with shaving soap and lathering it up in its mug and lathering it on my face constitutes about 75% of my time shaving.

Therefore, any recommendations for a commercial shaving cream that can stand up th DE shaving and provide me with enough lubrication and lather for a smooth and virtually "irratiation-free" shave.

The time i have available in the morning is precious to me, since I got a new job and my commute is 10 minutes further. i know that sounds insignificant, but i have a routine in the morning i need to maintain for the day. For instnace, working out, which takes up about 50 minutes in the morning and i am not willing to comprimis that, so i need to find an alnternate for my big commitment with shaving soaps and I need to resort to shaving cream, which will shave me a lot of time each morning.

Thanks, gentlement.

Isaac

Try running down to a Whole Foods or some kind of "naturals" store and pick up some Kiss My Face. Works absolutely awesome brushless and you can save the lather building for the weekends or...
Head down to a Crabtree and Evelyn and get a tube of Sweet Almond Oil Shave Cream or any one of thier other scents. That stuff explodes into lather for me rather very quickly.

Regards,

Nancy Boy Signature shave cream was created for use as a brushless cream, and is great. If you have time to use a brush, it lathers up quick and easily.

Proraso makes a canned foam that, while vastly inferior to their traditional cream & soap, is still a notch above other canned stuff.

(BTW, I know a few folks who use the traditional Proraso cream without a brush and enjoy the results. However, it seems like you'd use up your product more quickly this way.)

Nancy Boy Signature shave cream was created for use as a brushless cream, and is great. If you have time to use a brush, it lathers up quick and easily.

+1, this stuff is great! I have never had a bad shave with it, and I really like how my face feels after I've used this.

Jeff

I face a similar dilemma every morning; not because my schedule is that tight but because of my fondness for the snooze button. I have tried several creams brushless, including C&E Almond, Proraso, and Nancy Boy, and any of them would work. However, I found it still takes a fair amount of time to get the cream spread on my face with my fingers because you have to massage it in aggressively enough to get a little foam going. I also use a lot more product this way.

What I have found to be the absolute quickest routine is to soak my brush while I am taking a shower, then when I get out I put a dab of cream on it, swirl it around two or three times in the palm of my hand, and then lather from the brush on my face. The lather goes on much quicker from the brush than from my fingers, I use less product than brushless, and there's no shaving bowl to clean up afterwards.

The few seconds (and it would only be a few seconds, because it takes under a minute to completely cover your face with lather from the brush) that you would save by squirting something out of a can instead of brushing the cream on your face is nowhere near worth the loss of quality that canned creams force on you.

I have found the C&E Almond to be the quickest lathering cream when used in this manner, but I have had good results from T&H Lavendar as well. I don't like the way Nancy Boy lathers on a brush so I would stay away from that. Good luck!

For brushless, check out Avalon Organics shaving cream (Whole Foods carries it, for example).

As pointed out, using a good cream with a brush doesn't really take any longer, and I recommend Taylor of Old Bond Street Avocado as a shaving cream that has wide general appeal.

Try running down to a Whole Foods or some kind of "naturals" store and pick up some Kiss My Face. Works absolutely awesome brushless and you can save the lather building for the weekends or...
Head down to a Crabtree and Evelyn and get a tube of Sweet Almond Oil Shave Cream or any one of thier other scents. That stuff explodes into lather for me rather very quickly.

Regards,

I was going to mention the Kiss My Face line. All the Kiss My Face creams work great brushless and provide a very nice close, comfortable shave. My local Kroger supermarket has a whole foods section that sells 3 kinds of Kiss My Face, and each pump bottle is only 4.95. That’s a great price on a really great cream that can be used brushless when you are in a hurry, but can also be used with a brush when you have some extra time.

I also understand about having a certian routine that one needs to stick to. My mornings are always so busy and crazy that I have to shave at night or i'd never get to shave.

Thanks, guys.

YOu all have great recommendations.:001_tt1:

I also like the idea of using soaps on the weekends and use your recommendations during the weekdays, which will save me about 15 minutes - I think :confused:

It is obvious that i have many options, and i am confident of creating a good match between convenience and quality.

Please keep the ideas and recommendations coming in.... i greatly appreciate it and need it.

thanks,
Isaac

Buy one of everything, that seems to be the common M.O. :biggrin:

Kidding aside, I've used proraso cream without a brush and enjoy it. Art of Shaving (I like the lavender) makes a good cream that can also be used brushless, but I enjoy using the brush. Neither cream is very dense, both are easily applied.

Time permitting, you can dip your brush in a bit of warm water, scoop up a bit of cream, and lather on your face. It might take 30 seconds or so, but you won't be that much quicker spreading it with your fingers. Using a brush also means you don't get your fingers slick with cream, and your tube or tub lasts that much longer (both blessing and curse).

Thanks, guys.

YOu all have great recommendations.:001_tt1:

I also like the idea of using soaps on the weekends and use your recommendations during the weekdays, which will save me about 15 minutes - I think :confused:

It is obvious that i have many options, and i am confident of creating a good match between convenience and quality.

Please keep the ideas and recommendations coming in.... i greatly appreciate it and need it.

thanks,
Isaac
It takes fifteen minutes to lather your soaps right now!? :eek:

It takes fifteen minutes to lather your soaps right now!? :eek:

Hello,

I am not sure how long it actually takes me to prepare myself to shave, but it is longer than i'd like it to be. preparing the lather and applying it to my face and continue to lather it on my face does take me longer than the actual shaving with my razor.

The whole process itself maybe 15, but i would like to "shave" some time off of that while still getting a smooth and "irritation-free" shave, and it seems that i can modify my lathering routine in the hopes of saving time.

My fiance can start and finish her shower and dry herself before i complete my shaving routine which includes at least 2 passes.

How about shaving the night before work?

Great recommendation.

It is such a good idea that i am and have considered doing it.

I just have some reservations with not following the norm of morning shaving vs. night shaving. It just does not have the same "atmosphere to it, but once i get over that aspect i could commit to it.

In the meantime I am going to consider the recommendations, while entertaining the idea of night shaving:sneaky2:

Thanks a lot,
Isaac

How about shaving the night before work?

That is the best idea but there are plenty of top quality brushless out there NB Aveda Molton Brown come to mind of the ones I tried. I used it when I was late then I tried a Shave stick Just as fast:w00t: QED is great and DR. Harris is top notch

I alternate between three quality shaving creams and take no more than a minute to create an excellent lather. With a good badger brush, I don't understand why you would need to take any longer. I think some just like to whip up more volume because they can. But, more volume is not only not necessary, it may reduce the effectiveness of the lather.

Top Bottom