What's new

Too Heavy?

Everything I'm reading suggests that the Merkur HD Classic is the perfect newbie DE razor; that's not in doubt.

It is, however, clearly heavier than standard; otherwise one would imagine it would be called the 'Merkur Normal Weight Classic', no?

I'm not a big man - indeed, 'slight' would probably be a better term; I'm 5'6" and hovering around 120 lbs. (That's not to say I'm underpowered, I was a wrestling champ back in University, and still play semi-competitive rugby). Is the HD going to be too heavy for me?

I'm not sure if I'd be better off with a razor like the 1904 Classic by Merkur instead.

Tak!

I think the "Hefty" refers mainly to the diameter of the handle. It's not especially heavy (compared, say, to the Futur or Vision), but the handle is thicker and easier (for me) to hold. OTOH, I do like the 1904 Classic as well. So either would work fine. I just wish the 1904 came in gold...

Which would then bring up a question of weight. If the head of the razor is then similar, would the weight of say a 38C change the way it shaves, as opposed to the lighter weight Merkur HD? I'm looking at getting a 38C, but am worried a bit about the weight.

BTW, absolutely love the Merkur HD! I would recommend it to everybody

The weight of the 38C might affect how you handle and angle the razor, which of course will affect the shave. But the head geometry is the same as that of the HD (and Classic and 1904...).

Top Bottom