What's new

How many Mega Pixels?

My wife wants a new camera for her bday. She said she likes the Nikon D40. Right now we have a Kodak p&s 6.2 mp. So do i buy the 2 lens kit with nikon d40 6.2 mp or the nikon d40x w/ one lens that is 10 mp? They are the same price at Best Buy. I don't forsee any huge pictures being printed. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Hi Shaveme, get the D40. To cut a long story short, if you are not printing in excess of DIN A4 formats, 6 mp are amply sufficient. The dynamic range of the two is the same, despite a different sensor, whereas the D40X is more critical towards photographic errors (blur, etc.). Is that the 18-55 and 55-200 offered with the D40. They are both ok lenses, better than Canon's kit lenses, but bear in mind that you need AF-S lenses to be able to focus automatically. But that is not such a big deal. Other than that, good finish, great ergonomics.

+1

Pay no attention to megapixels of cameras produced today. They don't mean anything to normal users...heck, for many pros as well. All it gives you is a larger file that takes up more space, and requires a more powerful computer and time to process.

Is your wife really sure that she prefers a dSLR over a compact? Those are two different worlds. Modern dSLRS can be used as simple P&S cameras, but that would defeat the purpose. Just checking that you guys are getting the toys you plan on enjoying for years to come. Best - MM

Is your wife really sure that she prefers a dSLR over a compact? Those are two different worlds. Modern dSLRS can be used as simple P&S cameras, but that would defeat the purpose. Just checking that you guys are getting the toys you plan on enjoying for years to come. Best - MM

Probably not. I think it is too much camera for our picture taking. But when i made a comment about it, I was in the dog house.

Probably not. I think it is too much camera for our picture taking. But when i made a comment about it, I was in the dog house.

Ach crivens, sorry to hear that. In any case, one could approach the issue in an objective, analytical way (as if that ever works...). You can ask her if she would be happy to carry around various accessories and different lenses, to change them if necessary without losing the moment while avoiding getting dust on the sensor, to take a course on the technicalities of SLRs, to post-process the images using powerful software to get the best out of them, etc. I am sure, there are lists of pros and cons on the Internet that would help make the decision-finding process easier.

Thinking about it some more, just get the dSLR... I would urge you though to make your wife hold the camera in the store and play around with it for a while. Nobody likes to use a camera that doesn't really fit in one's hand with the necessary controls appropriately placed. In that respect, I would recommend comparing the D40(x) to the Canon Rebel XTi and the Pentax K100D. Those cameras are roughly in the same category.

Good luck! Best - MM

Best - MM

Michael,
First off, I am digital camera 'challenged'. But having said that, I just bought a Canon ELPH last month. It is very tiny and fits even a small purse nicely. The entire back is full view screen. It is very user friendly. It was about $250 at Best Lies.
Sue

(Canon PowerShot 7.1-Megapixel Digital ELPH Camera Silver, Model SD1000.)

I just got back from a couple of weeks in Italy. I brought my Nikon D200 and a Casio EXZ-850. I shot a lot more with the Casio than the Nikon and I can tell you that my shoulder was thankful when i chose to go light. The Casio fits in the pocket or, in my case, I have a leather case that fits to my belt that I got on Ebay. I can tell you that the Casio shots were every bit as good as the Nikon's. The DSLR is useful WHEN you need the added features that go along with it. Unless you do, you are only spending money needlessly. BTW, the Canon elph also is a great little camera as are the Canon "A" models.

I recommend the suggestion of having your wife handle the merchandise. But when she is doing it, have her think about two things. Does she want to lug it around on vacation when the temp gets to 90+ and the humidity equals it? Will she regret not having the pocket camera available AT ALL TIMES to take the photo that she would not be able to take if she were toi go with the DSLR?

Just like John (LetterK) said... pay no attention to the mega pixels. That number is irrelavent for image quality. The size of the CMOS sensor will determine image quality. A rule of thumb (but there is always exceptions) dSLR's will have a larger CMOS sensor than a point and shoot. Any camera manufacture that you are looking into on thier website should list the physical specs and it should list the physical size of the CMOS sensor. Another thing to keep in mind... some company point and shoots don't have the room for a cmos sensor so they use a CCD (Charge Coupled Device) these are good, but you will constantly hear reviewers and pros a like telling you the CMOS is better. FYI... camera cellphones use a CCD sensor (again always an exception to the rule).

I agree with mozart:

I would urge you though to make your wife hold the camera in the store and play around with it for a while. Nobody likes to use a camera that doesn't really fit in one's hand with the necessary controls appropriately placed. In that respect, I would recommend comparing the D40(x) to the Canon Rebel XTi and the Pentax K100D.

I've had the Pentax K100D's predecessor, the unpronouncably-named *istDS for a couple of years now. It's significantly smaller and lighter than the Canons or Nikons, and as others have mentioned, smaller and lighter means carrying it more often, which means more and better pictures.

Top Bottom