What's new

Anyone know about allergies

Here's a concern that I have. I continue to explore shaving products. My experience is restricted to typical can products I have a horrible peanut allergy. I also know that I will react badly to cashews, pine nuts, and pistachios. I have accidentally eaten pecans with trivial if any reaction, coconut is no problem at all, but have no real idea about almonds, or macadamias--avoiding them out of fear. Peanut oil if well made does not contain the protein to which most (myself included) with peanut allergies react--while I avoid it I have accidentally eaten peanut oil and did not have to inject myself with epinephrine but maybe felt a slight reaction which could have been all in the head; the real reaction occurs even with a tiny bit of peanut is unmistakable is profoundly real and profoundly awful.

I use AOS shaving cream as what I consider my introduction into a better level of shaving but have ducked other products so far in part out of allergy fears. I would like to try some others so does anyone have a good recommendation for my next purchase. In all honesty I will probably stick with what I am using for the short term because as soon as my HD arrives that will be my next jump (M3 to HD) and don't want to make too many leaps at one but I probably will be more than ready for something new and exciting by the time I am running low on the current tub of shaving cream.

Marc

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
Yep, slow and steady, that's what I say. Of course, within two weeks of saying so, I found myself knee-deep in all sorts of paraphernalia, and in need of an extra recycling bin to handle all of the spent priority mail boxes and packing peanuts that were threatening to overtake the garage.
I haven't tried the unscented AOS, but their other three blends are all top shelf. Other unscented creams you should look for are Taylor's and T&H Ultimate Comfort.

I used to have very bad allergies, and have been nursing a case of asthma that almost killed me in the past. I was the type who couldn't walk into a department store through the entrance by the perfume section. Allergies are weird- you can develop them late in life, or you can grow out of them. Currently, I can use colognes and expose myself to scents that would have been unthinkable years ago, and can enjoy pipes and cigars (the bane of my existence). When I started this wet shaving thingy, I presumed that I would have to use hypoallergenic preparations exclusively. Fortunately I didn't follow my own advice- I would have missed out on the best part of this hobby. Everyone's tolerance varies, of course, but I'm sure there are lots of products that you can use without ill effect.

Good luck!

MJB said:
Here's a concern that I have. I continue to explore shaving products. My experience is restricted to typical can products I have a horrible peanut allergy. I also know that I will react badly to cashews, pine nuts, and pistachios. I have accidentally eaten pecans with trivial if any reaction, coconut is no problem at all, but have no real idea about almonds, or macadamias--avoiding them out of fear. Peanut oil if well made does not contain the protein to which most (myself included) with peanut allergies react--while I avoid it I have accidentally eaten peanut oil and did not have to inject myself with epinephrine but maybe felt a slight reaction which could have been all in the head; the real reaction occurs even with a tiny bit of peanut is unmistakable is profoundly real and profoundly awful.

I use AOS shaving cream as what I consider my introduction into a better level of shaving but have ducked other products so far in part out of allergy fears. I would like to try some others so does anyone have a good recommendation for my next purchase. In all honesty I will probably stick with what I am using for the short term because as soon as my HD arrives that will be my next jump (M3 to HD) and don't want to make too many leaps at one but I probably will be more than ready for something new and exciting by the time I am running low on the current tub of shaving cream.

Marc
http://www.emedicine.com/EMERG/topic25.htmHere is my 2¢ as a Paramedic. I'm the kinda guy they'll be calling to your house to try to save your life if the experimentation doesn't go as planned. Death sucks, a good shave isn't worth getting dead. When shaving, you are flirting with actual ingestion of an allergen. This is a lot more serious than an exposure through a hand rail.

It takes TWO exposures to an allergen to experience Anaphylaxis.
The fact that you've not reacted to certain nuts yet does bot mean they can't hurt you the next time. Keep that epi pen at the ready. If you have a peanut allergy that is the least bit serious, I'd stay away from any nuts that you aren't SURE can't cause an allergic reaction for you. And of course stay away from peanuts.

Creightons makes and packages things that contain nut oils.
Thus staying away from Creightons products would be a very good way to stay allergy free. Shaving creams and soaps coming out of this factory include, or our rumored to include Trumpers, DR Harris, Charles Thrywritt, The Real Shaving Co. Some other companies that use nut oil in their manufacturing of certain cosmetics include Taylors, Truefitt & Hill, and Nancy Boy. I'd get an ingredients list for T&H Ultimate Comfort line of products. They are made in a separate factory up in Canada, and might not pose a risk. They are a very easy company to deal with, and will help you with allergy information.

If I were you, I would do this. The AOS line isn't causing to reach for the epi pen. STICK WITH IT! They have a nice range of scents. Why take a risk on new products from a new company. The AOS stuff is better than 90% of whats out there. This is a very nice way to pamper yourself while staying not dead.

To wrap up, have fun with the whole wet shaving thing, but take your allergies VERY seriously. And as in all things, consult your doctor before doing anything that can make you stop breathing.

Have fun,
Peter J
WEMT-P, AWLS

Top Bottom