Which product to Sterilize?

• Boil

• Alcohol

• Hydrox Hydroxide

• 10% bleach

• Cydex

• Barbicide

Results are only viewable after voting.
I am looking for a liquid that I can sterilize my Ebay purchased razors in. I tried the boilling water and vinegar (bad move I know) and took all of the plating off pretty much all of my razors. So now I am looking for a solution that I can drop them in to kill any diseases/bacteria.

Unless you suffer from OCD, the use of Barbicide, alcohol or a bleach water solution soak for a couple of minutes at 180 degrees f. will probably make your razor more sanitary than the silverware you eat with at a restraurant.

Soak times differ depending on the solution that you use. I think that for boiling in plain water it should be for a period of ten minutes after reaching boil. For solutions, it could be twenty minutes or more depending on what it is.

There is an element of germophobia among the population these days, thanks in large part to marketing of sanitation products. They play on our fears.

None of the above- I just wipe the blade over with Ti Tree oil. They're usually well cleaned long before I even start honing, when I get an old razor, so I'm not too bothered. Titree is massively antiseptic though, and should do the job easy peasy, especially used neat. It soon evaporates and leaves no residue.

Just thought that with "the safety of razors" topic being brought up recently, it was good to revive this poll.

I used Marvicide (on fritz's recommendation) from Sally Beauty, it has 10% Dimethyl Benzyl Ammonium Chloride. That is the main ingredient on Barbicide; which only has 5.12%.

Top Bottom