What's new

Yet another ID needed.

I've searched all over for this, and I can't find it, so hopefully you guys can help. It's on sale at an antiques place right now. It came with a bluish flip down case in great condition. I couldn't find a date code, nor a serial number. The band up by the head is smooth and the end of the handle is rounded. Any thoughts? Thanks.

proxy.php

Gillette fat handled gold Tech.

I'm sure someone here more experienced can help us -- but I think the fat handled Techs are older (40's & 50's) than the skinny handled Techs.

At any rate, it looks pretty and is a nice, gentle shaver.

Rick

Heh. If it's a tech she's nuts. Wants $40 for it. I thought it was something else (haven't seen a tech like that).

However, it looks like Tech's weren't intro'd until '39, at which point Gillette were well into the process of date codes. How can this be a Tech if there's no date code?

It is indeed a gold Tech. Krumholz's book leaves no doubt. Gentle shaver, and they're fairly common. Date codes were not used on razors until 1951:
Razor Date Codes began in 1951 and used the same system blades had used since 1931, a code that identified the year and calendar quarter of manufacture. These codes are found on the underside of the guard mechanism, or in cartridge razors, near the attachment mechanism for the blade.
From this page.

It is indeed a gold Tech. Krumholz's book leaves no doubt. Gentle shaver, and they're fairly common. Date codes were not used on razors until 1951:

From this page.

That's the page I was looking at-- and look at 1930. That's when "A" started. I don't doubt the razor ID (THANKS GUYS!) but that dating thing is throwing me off. Ah well.

Thanks

BTW, do you guys ever see Krumholz's CD ever come up for sell in the B/S/T forums? It sounds like a great resource, but $45 is way to much for a CD. I'd like it, but I don't ever see a used one come up.

Heh. If it's a tech she's nuts. Wants $40 for it. I thought it was something else (haven't seen a tech like that).

However, it looks like Tech's weren't intro'd until '39, at which point Gillette were well into the process of date codes. How can this be a Tech if there's no date code?

They didn't put the date codes on the razors until late 50 or 51...could be right after WWII when production resumed, or right before. Sometimes they came in a blue box with the "Gold Tech" lettered on the inside.

$40 is a ridiculous price, BTW. Ten bucks if pristine, maybe. No case, 5 at most.

That's the page I was looking at-- and look at 1930. That's when "A" started. I don't doubt the razor ID (THANKS GUYS!) but that dating thing is throwing me off. Ah well.

Thanks

BTW, do you guys ever see Krumholz's CD ever come up for sell in the B/S/T forums? It sounds like a great resource, but $45 is way to much for a CD. I'd like it, but I don't ever see a used one come up.

Although there were no razor date codes between 1931 and 1951, the blades were serialized and that's why that reference page shows serial number info between those years.

Very nice, mr-razor! I'm begining to think you have 3 of everything ever produced. :lol:

I guess the box it was displaying in was the wrong one as all it said was Gillette and nothing else.

Who knows. I'm over that shop-- totally overpriced everything.

Thanks guys!

Top Bottom