What's new

Vintage Razor with Red muck?

I just received in the mail a nice Vintage Gillette "NEW" tech version. When cleaning it, I noticed some red substance in some places, especially at the bottom of the handle.

Anyone know what this is or how to remove it? I'm attaching some pictures so that you can get an idea of what I'm talking about.

Depending on the consistency it could range from lacquer to grease.

Does it wipe off (say, with a q-tip) or is it good and stuck?

Rick

Seems good and stuck..used a toothbrush too. I'm not too worried about it but was just curious what it was.

Thanks.

Well, those gold razors have a protective lacquer over the gold. I suspect it is that, which has discolored for some reason. Just a guess, though.

-Mo

Well, those gold razors have a protective lacquer over the gold. I suspect it is that, which has discolored for some reason. Just a guess, though.

-Mo

This is what it is and trying to get if off will more then likely take off the gold as well.:frown:

No, it's a clear coat that just changes color over time to protect the finish. Mine had the same stuff, but cleaned off with brass polish.

Hmm...I'll just leave it. I definitely wouldn't want to damage the finish by trying to remove it.

It might dissolve if you re-lacquer the razor. I wouldn't bother, I don't think, but who knows.

Try paint thinner or lighter fluid. I find that lighter fluid works wonders on a surprising number of things. It might go gummy and then you might be able to scrape it off with a toothpick. I would likely try the lighter fluid just out of curiosity and just to know whether this kind of goop should be added to the list of what lighter fluid can clean.

Top Bottom