What's new

Question about Merkur HD

After reading reviews here and on other sites I have decided that I want to buy my husband a Merkur HD safety razor for father's day. When I looked it up on Amazon.com I found a few varieties and I am not sure which razor to buy. I found a Merkur HD 34C, Merkur Model 38 Hd Classic "Barber Pole" Long Safety Razor, Merkur "Heavy Classic" Double-Edged Safety Razor 34c, and Merkur HD Slant Safety Razor 37C. What is the difference between these razors? Thanks in advance for any advice you can give me.

All the same razor: 34C, HD, Heavy Classic. It's an excellent introductory razor for double-edge shaving.
The 38C is the same head with a longer handle (and spiral decorative knurling). If he has big hands, this may be more comfortable to grip.
The 37C Slant is a more advanced razor with an asymmetric guard plate. It's quite nice, but not usually recommended for beginners.

The barbor pole model is named as such because the handle is modelled after a ....you guessed it...barber's poll.
The 34C HD and the "Heavy Classic" that you mention are the same model if my recollection serves me well.
The 37C Slant razor is named as such because the slanted head.
in terms of aggressiveness I believe they're all manufactured the same, aside for the slant being...slanted.
There was a wiki page on here somewhere that you can visit for more detailed answers to your questions.
Hope this helped you out. :)

Okay, thank you, that really helped!

You're most welcome! Fair warning: you're opening the door to a wide collection of items if he warms up to this way of shaving! But you may also view this as a whole new world of gift-giving opportunities: shaving brushes, shaving soaps, shaving creams, aftershaves, and don't forget the razor blades (a sampler pack would be best for these)! Each of these items has a forum where you can get some ideas (or he can, if you clue him in to the website.) :001_smile

I have only used the 34c HD but I think it makes a great razor for newbies and old hats alike. It is simple and well build. It is not the best looking or cheapest razor, but I bring it out a few times a month, and it just does what it was build to do.

I have only used the 34c HD but I think it makes a great razor for newbies and old hats alike. It is simple and well build. It is not the best looking or cheapest razor, but I bring it out a few times a month, and it just does what it was build to do.

The 34C HD is an excellent razor. It's what I used this morning and it's a superb shaver!

You might also look for the Merkur Model 178. It is the same razor as the 34c with a different model number. Sometimes they are cheaper when searched for that way.

I bought a 38c, with the barber pole handle, for starting out. Used it for nearly a year before the various acquisition disorders set in and all sorts of razors started showing up on my doorstep. But it's a great razor, I really like the heavier feel it has.

Been shaving with the 34C since I converted. I actually just ordered a 38c after hearing many good things about it. But I love my 34C, without hesitation.

Don't start him on a slant.

FWIW, my everyday, favorite razor = Merkur 38R.

It's like the BarberPole, except it has a smooth, red handle.

Top Bottom