What's new

What's a good 'summer hat'?

Regular ballcap?

Fedora - maybe a light green or brown?
proxy.php

Straw hat?

I need ideas! Need to cover up that increasingly large bald spot :blushing:

If you can find a reasonably priced Panama Hat (good luck with that!) then you're laughing.
They are the ultimate summer hat IMO.
I have a few straw hats that are nice, but I still haven't found the "one"

Golf stores seem to have a good selection of those types of hats.
well, for those of us who live in smaller cities.

What's a "good price" on a Panama?

I never did find a good one in my price range.
A real Panama will cost a lot, upwards of $1000+ for a hand blocked montecristi
A fairtrade hat will be less, but still expensive.
I'll settle for a knock off.

Check out The Fedora Lounge if you haven't already.
But beware! those guys are master enablers.

EDIT: a quick search came up with panamahatmall.com which has some reasoanable prices on hats.

Last edited:
I never did find a good one in my price range.
A real Panama will cost a lot, upwards of $1000+ for a hand blocked montecristi
A fairtrade hat will be less, but still expensive.
I'll settle for a knock off.

Check out The Fedora Lounge if you haven't already.
But beware! those guys are master enablers.

OK, what's the price range of a knockoff? :)

Yes to all of your choices, wear a hat or cap and keep it on while outdoors. It depends on your activity on what hat you will wear. And do not forget to keep one on while swimming, like I did this weekend, got a minor burn on where there used to be hair.

It's complicated.
Start reading up on the subject.
There is some skepticism these days about what actually is a real Panama hat.
Let's just say that many people believe that a true Panama is made by only a few different people in one village in Equador.

Others disagree. It goes on and on from there.
Would you pay $300 for a hat that might have been made down the street but is a "Panama Hat"?

That's mostly the reason I don't care. It's a big mess trying to figure out what a reasonable price is.
The real question is do you get what you pay for?
Would you be satisfied with a hat that may not be 100% authentic?

If so, then you can pick one up for about $50 to $500 and be perfectly happy.

I'll bet that's more than you wanted to know.

If you can find a reasonably priced Panama Hat (good luck with that!) then you're laughing.
They are the ultimate summer hat IMO.
I have a few straw hats that are nice, but I still haven't found the "one"

Golf stores seem to have a good selection of those types of hats.
well, for those of us who live in smaller cities.

Tilley when windy, Panama the rest of the time.

This is my view as well. Used a Tilley excluisively, but found it hot and finally bought an inexpensive Panama. Its rollable and I got it on sale for $100 at a local haberdashery. Its made by Bailey of Hollywood - this is the one I got.

http://www.hats.com/p/133762/Bailey-of-Hollywood-Roll-Up-Hat.aspx

Its my first Panama and, while I wanted something decent, I don't know much about them and didn't want to break the bank - just bought it a couple of weeks ago.

I have always used Robert Weber at Panama Hatworks of Montecristi. Here is his site http://panamas.biz/index.html
I think you will be surprised at how little a genuine hand woven hat will cost. I bought a Rio Plata style C-Crown Cuenca (brisca fino) last fall for only $33.00.

Last edited:
what you guys think of this one...

proxy.php

Nice style - the question is whether it suits you.

I went into the shop thinking I was going to buy a particular style and came out with something entirely different - went with the hat that suited my face shape and build best.

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
A classic Panama, of course. Expect to pay between $60 and $300 from a hatter in the U.S. and yes, they are made in Ecuador. (Some in Bolivia, too.) The defining factor is the particular fiber they are woven from. There are many styles and shapes for this hat, and you are sure to find one that suits you. They are called "Panama" because they were trans-shipped to the U.S. via Panama before the opening of the Panama Canal, and the name stuck hard after Americans working on the canal adopted it.

There are finer grades of Panama hats that are MUCH more expensive. As for the extra cost of an ultra-fino being worth the quality of the hat, YMMV but I would look for a style that suits the face and clothing, in as fine a weave as possible, for under $200. Dobbs, Stetson, and others make (oh, puh-LEEEEZE, hat-nerds, don't dispute calling these Panama Hats, if you call a tissue a "kleenex" etc... that is just so TIRED!) or sell Panama, or "Jipajapa" hats for a reasonable sum. Personally, I can think of better things to spend a grand or two on than a finest Montecristi or Cuenca hat. I would much rather spring for a high priced hooker or a tuna fishing charter or a decent suit than drop 4 figures on a summer hat.

Real Panama hats are known for several qualities related to the particular fiber they are woven from, the fineness of the weave, etc. They are extraordinarily light, breathe quite well, and you can roll them up without causing any serious damage to them. If a hatter can't show you a rolled up Panama, and won't roll one up for you or let you roll one up, as if he is scared of ruining it, either he isn't much of a hatter or that hat he is trying to sell is quite far removed from a true Panama.

Thanks, Slash. I was possibly looking at this one (and the company is located in the area as a bonus.)

The other question is whether this is something I could wear to work in a casual/business casual environment.

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
A nice style, that fedora, though they shouldn't adulterate the fibers with teflon and they shouldn't, IMHO, put wire in the rim. A true Panama can be rolled up. The weave looks a little coarse for a $75 hat, but it should breathe well. Maybe the teflon will help prevent sweat staining, so it could be a plus, too. Make sure you know your hat size and make sure you can return it if the sizing is off. If the company is local, then you should go and try it on, as well as any other styles that catch your eye. Bring someone with good taste with you for a second opinion. I am NOT a fan of M-L-XL type sizing on a hat. This usually means "cheap hat" to me, and I don't necessarily mean cheap as in economical, if you know what I mean, and that is another good reason to walk in and try one on.

I think the hat would work well with most summer suits except solid dark business suits. Cream, beige, pastels, yeah. Maybe not a sport coat type hat, though. Would lend a slightly retro look to long sleeve shirt and tie. Stick a couple of flies and a mepps spinner in the band and you got a fishing hat! Of course YMMV and I am not known for exquisite fashion sense.

If you sweat a lot, you might want to grab two of them. I don't like to wear the same hat every day, especially in summer. I feel the hat should get a rest, like a pair of shoes.

Top Bottom