What's new

Some tips for dealing with papules and red marks

For some bizarre reason, i've been having some issues with facial inflammation (papules mostly [painful red bumps that if not treated, leave a mark for months]) over the past year or so. I'm 27 and never had any issues with acne so understandably i was annoyed. Actually, this is what got me into wet shaving, thinking perhaps my electric shaver was the culprit.

Anyways, i'm not here to complain - i'm here to share some tips that i found useful. The most important tip i can offer is - sea salt compresses! I cannot emphasize how this helped me. Before i heard of this method, the process was: general pain in a certain area, followed by growing red bumpage over a period of 12-24 hours, painful red bump for about 2,3 days, 1-2 weeks of receding in size of bump, 2-5 months of red mark. This happened about once every two weeks. So how do i treat this today?

1) Take sea salt (not table salt, about a teaspoon) mix with about 2-3 tbsp of warm water. I would also suggest taking a cap of apple cider vinegar (more on this later) and chucking it in. Mix well.
2) Prepare 2 strips of medical tape - the kind that holds bandages to the skin
3) Wash your face
4) Take a square gauze pad and dip in solution (should be soaked)
5) Fold as needed and hold w/strips to area. Leave for 15-20 minutes

Usually it takes only one application of this to drain all the disgusting puss onto the surface (magic!). If you do not see a white head, repeat this up to 4 times a day - don't try to squeeze if you don't see a white head! You're just pushing bacteria further down the skin and may make things really bad (i.e. cyst). Once you see a head, squeeze with the gauze pad on both ends until bloody. Apply some AHA 2% lotion on the area.

You may have to repeat this process once or twice. Once the area isn't painful (usually it's after the first time), healing starts. It usually takes about 1-3 days for things to calm down but you are not left with a red mark for months afterwards. I have yet to scar from this process.

Dealing with red marks
If you still have red marks, a solution from acne.org recommends using apple cider vinegar to perform gradual peeling. Since vinegar is acidic you want to balance it with a base... So what they suggest is to take about a tbsp of baking soda (not baking powder), mixed with very little water. This gives you a dirt cheap exfoliating creme. After cleansing the face with a cleanser, you rub this gently on your face and immediately wash off. Then apply a mix of ACV with water (start with a ratio of 1:10 ACV:water and gradually raise to 1:2 or 1:1) with a cotton thingie. Leave this on the face to dry and apply moisturizer. I've tried this for a few weeks and did see some good results.

Finding the source
It's not chocolate :) My derm said my problem is folliculitis and prescribed a lotion. For now, it's working. I have no idea why this problem started or when it will pass but at least i have a method of treating it. I hope some of these tips find their way to the frustrated people suffering from the same.

I have a couple of red bumps on my face that match that description exactly. I have had them for a couple of months and just cannot get rid of them. I am definitely going to give this a try.

My favorite thing to do is splash on a mixture of witch hazel and a few drops of tea tree oil mixed in all over my face, really making sure to concentrate on the sensitive areas. It burns a little, but I love the feeling afterwards and I've found it very effective in reducing acne and red marks and keeping them from coming back. Tea tree oil is good stuff, I highly recommend it and you can find it anywhere. I use Sundown. Every now and again I'll add in a couple drops to a lather if the scent is appropriate to go along with it. Feels great on the face, but YMMV, it burns if you use too much and it may burn some people's skin in general.

I also use a dab of 2.5% Benzoyl Peroxide on more acne-like marks that are stubborn.

Allen

I have a couple of red bumps ... I have had them for a couple of months

Just make sure to use the compress during the first painful phase (first or second day), not afterwards when it is only a red mark. Good luck!

Just make sure to use the compress during the first painful phase (first or second day), not afterwards when it is only a red mark. Good luck!

one or two of tham are stull quite sore red bumps, and i've had them for quite a while. Using tend skin has gotten rid of actual razor bumps and rash, but these things are remaining. Shall I still use the compress on them, even though they aren't 'new'?

Well, i'm no expert so i can't say if it will or will not help, only speak from experience. The compress brings the white stuff to the surface and makes it easy to drain. Before i used the compress the inflammation would just remain there in the deeper layers of skin until the body got rid of it (and, apparently, that's very slow and leaves a red mark).

So question is, are your red bumps still inflamed? Has one ever developed a white head after a long while? I don't know, but i can't imagine leaving a wet sea-salt compress for 20 minutes doing any real damage... it's just like soaking in the sea for a while. I've never had a papule that was sore for more than 3-5 days so perhaps we're not suffering from the same symptom. If your bumps weren't red (and if they were along the bottom jawline area) i would have suggested they are enlarged lymph nodes (something i suffer from) - in such a case a compress will do no good (and no harm).

Keep us updated

Edit: Thought occurred that perhaps this is a cyst or some other form of "severe" acne. In such a case a dermatologist may prescribe antibiotics. I really do suggest visiting one - it can really save you a lot of grief. Also, the acne.org forums offer a plethora of information - highly recommended!

Well, i'm no expert so i can't say if it will or will not help, only speak from experience. The compress brings the white stuff to the surface and makes it easy to drain. Before i used the compress the inflammation would just remain there in the deeper layers of skin until the body got rid of it (and, apparently, that's very slow and leaves a red mark).

So question is, are your red bumps still inflamed? Has one ever developed a white head after a long while? I don't know, but i can't imagine leaving a wet sea-salt compress for 20 minutes doing any real damage... it's just like soaking in the sea for a while. I've never had a papule that was sore for more than 3-5 days so perhaps we're not suffering from the same symptom. If your bumps weren't red (and if they were along the bottom jawline area) i would have suggested they are enlarged lymph nodes (something i suffer from) - in such a case a compress will do no good (and no harm).

Keep us updated

Edit: Thought occurred that perhaps this is a cyst or some other form of "severe" acne. In such a case a dermatologist may prescribe antibiotics. I really do suggest visiting one - it can really save you a lot of grief.

The red bumps are still inflamed... at no point have they ever had a 'head' as such - they are quite smooth (almost like a boil, but I know they are not). They aren't sore constantly, but they get irritated when I shave

Keep us updated

Edit: Thought occurred that perhaps this is a cyst or some other form of "severe" acne. In such a case a dermatologist may prescribe antibiotics. I really do suggest visiting one - it can really save you a lot of grief. Also, the acne.org forums offer a plethora of information - highly recommended!

+1

update - a combination of tend skin twice a day and a 4 day shaving break had almost shifted it. Thanks for all the info guys!

FWIW...my wife does a lot of cosmetics research and had me try using beta hyrdoxy acid (BHA) for my neck (to deal with multiple ingrowns/red bumps/etc.). According to the sites she visits, many women have said the BHA did wonders for their husbands with my (our) kind of neck issues.

So I tried it yesterday, and let me tell you...the difference was amazing! By 12 hours there was marked reduction in size of the bumps. Today, a day later, the smaller spots are practically gone. I did have one large bump that has shrunk to 1/4 it's size. Apparently the BHA exfoliates rapidly, so the top of the bump is peeling a bit...so hopefully it will be gone in a day or two.

Upon my wife's suggestion, I just placed like 4 or 5 drops (literally) in my hands, rubbed them together, then spread this on my neck. She also says it should not be used every day (as it is powerful stuff), but can be used every other day if needed. It also increases sensitivity to sunlight, so if you use this and are outside a lot, you should be sure to use sunscreen.

just thought I'd share the info...we'll see how it plays out over the next few days...but as of right now I am truly impressed!

When I first switched over to a DE from a multi-blade cartridge razor, I had issues with razor burn and irritation (pressing too hard, lather not wet enough, too many passes). I tried using a bit of Neosporin, and apple cider vinegar helped a little, but what finally cleared it up was plain old aspirin dissolved in water. I just spread it on and let it sit for awhile, rinsed off with cold water.

Aspirin's the active ingredient in Tend Skin, a product a lot of people recommend, but this method's much cheaper :smile:

When I first switched over to a DE from a multi-blade cartridge razor, I had issues with razor burn and irritation (pressing too hard, lather not wet enough, too many passes). I tried using a bit of Neosporin, and apple cider vinegar helped a little, but what finally cleared it up was plain old aspirin dissolved in water. I just spread it on and let it sit for awhile, rinsed off with cold water.

Aspirin's the active ingredient in Tend Skin, a product a lot of people recommend, but this method's much cheaper :smile:

aspirin is just salicylic acid...which my wife told me tonight was what beta hydroxy acid is (see my post above)...so we have sort of made the same discovery via different routes...interesting

I've been looking around for a discussion of 'bumps.' I've spent a lot of time messing around with and researching them.

If you guys have what I have, Yale Medical calls it pseudofolliculitis barbae. That's an ingrown hair caused from shaving or hair breaking off. Their suggested medical treatment is 8% glycolic acid lotion.

I just tried the dissolved aspirin and I'll probably try everything else suggested here.

A wikipedia search for razor bump gives the medical perspective with interesting links including the Yale abstract on glycolic acid (Alpha-hydrox, Neo-Strata, others [from wiki article]).

FINALLY, how many of you guys have wavy or curly hair? That's said to be a determinant factor.

Thanks for the good ideas.

I have curly hair and have had problems with ingrown hairs for 30+ years...

What I have found over the years is shaving WTG only !!!!!!! This will help the most...and never try for a BBS shave....

Then make sure you wash your face before bed and in the morning....

The big problem with ingrown hairs is..nothing you put on them really helps until you remove the hair...You can get rid of the redness but an infection will be back if you don't remove the hair..

I do use the asprin trick if it is just a red spot and not an ingrown hair...

Hmm, all his sounds a bit like voodoo to me. Couple of questions:

1) Take sea salt (not table salt, about a teaspoon) mix with about 2-3 tbsp of warm water.

What is the deal with "sea salt"? All salt is sea salt. It's sodium chloride, and even regular table salt was once in the sea. So, either there is something beneficial in salt that is explicitly labeled "sea salt", or there is something detrimental in regular table salt (all with respect to this treatment).

aspirin is just salicylic acid...which my wife told me tonight was what beta hydroxy acid is (see my post above)...so we have sort of made the same discovery via different routes ...interesting

Aspirin is acetyl salicylic acid. That's quite a different beast. Still, it is a beta-hydroxy acid and as such can work as an exfoliant. However, in general, the use of beta-hydroxy acid can significantly increase sun sensitivity. So, when using beta-hydroxy acids, using a good sunscreen is also recommended.

Anyway, I was always under the impression that beta-hydroxy acids can actually cause irritation and scarring. They are good exfoliants and help with getting rid of wrinkles, because they are aggressive compounds; perhaps not quite the right treatment for facial inflammations, but I haven't tried it for myself.

Best - MM

Top Bottom