What's new

sharper blade than Derby's

I have been using Derbys for my last few shaves but am not finding them sharp enough - even compared to the standard Merkur blades I got with my Futur.

I have received a sample pack with Treet, Wilkinson Sword, Nacet and a couple of different Gillette blades. Can anyone clarify which of those are sharper than Derbys?

Unfortunately I cannot seem to find anyone in the UK that sells Feathers :frown:

Many thanks in advance, you helpful bunch :closedeye

I'm still quite new to this, but I believe the Derby IS the sharpest blade next to a Feather. Also, while I do like Merkur blades, I believe Derby's are quite a bit sharper.

Not sure what Gillettes you have there. Swedish Gillettes seem to be between Feathers and Derbys in terms of sharpness. My take on it anyway...

If you can find them, you may consider Crystal blades. They are a tad sharper than Derbys but not sharper than Feathers. I believe Crystal blades are the same as Israeli Personnas.

Not sure what Gillettes you have there. Swedish Gillettes seem to be between Feathers and Derbys in terms of sharpness. My take on it anyway...

I will read more and post less.
:biggrin:

:biggrin:

Not at all...blades are such a YMMV thing. As you can see, Austin feels the IPs (Crystals) are sharper than the Derbys. The best thing to do is try them all out and see what works for you.

Not at all...blades are such a YMMV thing. As you can see, Austin feels the IPs (Crystals) are sharper than the Derbys. The best thing to do is try them all out and see what works for you.

I know. Just close to quitting time and in a bit of a wonky mood!!:sneaky2:

If you can find them, you may consider Crystal blades. They are a tad sharper than Derbys but not sharper than Feathers. I believe Crystal blades are the same as Israeli Personnas.

+1
Top 3 on my face: Feather, Crystal (or IP), Derby - Derby being the smoothest and most forgiving.

For me, it's Feather, followed not so closely by everything else. I really can't distinguish a lot of difference between the balance of the blades. While I haven't tried IPs, Merkurs do ok for me as do Derbys. Euro Gillettes, Astra, and ASRs bring up the rear.

I must note that those assessments are based on a Merkur razor. With my Gillettes, there doesn't seem to be as much as a difference and that's were my experimentation normally occurs. But, my shaves are so good with the Merkur/Feather combination, I don't remember the last time I strayed from it.

Get to your nearest John Lewis and pick up 5 Swedish Gillette's for £1.24, better blades than Feathers IMO, in fact the best I have tried, and I've tried nearly all of them.

I am interested to try the Silver Blues sold by

http://www.suffolkspares.co.uk/silverblue.html

Paul rates them sharper than Swedes, and they are a good bit cheaper.

But its all very personal. The only ones I have found sharp enough so far are the Swedes and the Feathers.

Have you tried Tescos own brand? They are my second best. Boots sell the same blade with their own name on it, but charge more.

Get to your nearest John Lewis and pick up 5 Swedish Gillette's for £1.24, better blades than Feathers IMO, in fact the best I have tried, and I've tried nearly all of them.

I am sure I paid £1.80 in John Lewis in Reading a few weeks ago.

Top Bottom