What's new

Value of Fat Boys

I've noticed on ebay that the values of Fat Boys are increasing with every auction. How hard are these razors to find? Are they really the "time tested" razor from the good ol' days? Other than ebay, what would be some alternative methods to finding one... estate sale?

I apologize - I meant to post this in the discussion area. Please feel free to instruct me as to how to move the post. Thanks.

Fatboys aren't hard to find, in fact I'm sure that if you ask, you will find that at least one B&B member will have one to sell.

I bought a lot of five crummy-looking old razors at a local antiques shop for twenty bucks. They all cleaned up nicely and one was a '59 Fatboy, so I paid $4 for that one. I can't believe they are really hard to find, but I would avoid EBay...the prices are becoming outrageous on there. Not quite sure what all the fuss is about the Fatboy. It is the same razor as the Slim, the handle is just a little thicker. They are nice shavers, but no better than many other Gillette models.

So what is exactly the difference between the Fatboy and Slim? Is it just the handle (and total weight)? What was the baseline for these razors in the 50 to 60's? I assuming the Fat Boy was an "upgrade" from the Slim?

So what is exactly the difference between the Fatboy and Slim? Is it just the handle (and total weight)? What was the baseline for these razors in the 50 to 60's? I assuming the Fat Boy was an "upgrade" from the Slim?

Comparing my Fat Boy to my short handled Super (I don't have a "slim", so it may be different yet), the FB definitely has a taller arc to the head (similar to my '40s Super Speed), which would seem to affect the blade angle. They also shave very differently (I usually use a higher setting on my FB than I do on my Super. Surprisingly, the FB is not heavier.

I think there's a sticky somewhere with pictures of all the models and a comparison of the head geometry.

If you can find one at a reasonable price, buy it. But I like the shave I get from my Super better!

Actualy, no. The Fatboy was the first Gillette adjustable, and was only manufactured from '58 to '62. The Slim replaced the Fatboy in '63. The heads of the razors are slightly different - the Slim is just a bit, well... slimmer than the Fatboy. The Slim does have a slimmer and slightly longer handle, and it is just a bit lighter than the Fatboy.

I'm not much of a photographer, but here are side-by-side photos of the two razors:

How do the more predigious Gillette Adjustables compare to the Slim and the Fat?

Are they significantly better shavers, or just better presented.

yep-the Fatboy is heavier and the the handle is thicker than that of the slim.

Marty

How does the Merkur Progress compare to a '62 Fat Boy or '71 Slim?

It's a different creature all together. Both in the mechanism of adjustment and of the head geometry. Aside from all of them being adjustable, the differences are significant, but in no way bad.

It's definately a YMMV thing. I love the looks of the Gillette SuperAdjustables, but get a better shave with a Progress. Try 'em both and see what works best for you.

Top Bottom