What's new

Want to try a shavette

As I feel more and more confident about my safety razor technique, I'm getting interested in trying a shavette. Does anybody have any recommendations or advice? I've found some cheap ones on eBay:

http://search.ebay.co.uk/search/search.dll?from=R40&_trksid=m37&satitle=shavette

Do you think these will do an ok job? I'm not necessarily after the highest quality since I'm primarily going to stick with safety razors, but I'd like to try a shavette to see how it compares.
I like the ones where you can use a standard DE blade. Do you have to snap the blade in half? How is this done?

Alex

I use THESE in my shop and on myself. They take snapped DE blades. I personally use Derbys.

This is a very cheap way to get into straight shaving and this is actually a very good razor. I recommend it quite highly. It has a nice balance and weight to it.

Cheers

Mat

I've tried the shavette and didn't like it at all. It's very lightweight and flimsy-feeling, and because of this is fairly difficult to control. The Monsieur Charles razor is a better razor - it takes injector blades and is weighted like a real straight.

I have every type of shavette made. Even one that I've never seen before and can't find again. Im also expecting a new design that looks just like a feather artist, (matt, put it as the ones he uses; but there not out yet) I believe PZbarber uses the older model he reviewed here http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php?t=17270

I should have my grubby little hands on the new one by Monday and will probably be the first production run or prototype. I've been in communication with sanguine and they've told me all about the horrors of developing a new product.... But as it stands its gonna be fantastic. Consider it an affordable Feather AC. I think I'll review this one myself!!!

That said any you choose is great practice for your first real straight. But I find myself using shavettes most as time is sparse and the honing and stropping everyday can be taxing.These are quite conveniant..

Go for the sanguine as the weight of its stainless steel scissor blades give it the heft and contour of a real straight.. And dont buy those pieces of pressed tin ones barbers usually use, also lacking in heft. This is the best one from sanguine I've tried- http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/STRAIGHT-Cut-...QQihZ004QQcategoryZ106315QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

But.. to be honest the best I have is the ones Ive modified, I currently have 4 of these- http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php?t=13879&highlight=home+made+straight

Thanks for the advice gents,

So now I'm deciding between

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Shavette-STRA...yZ106315QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

which was recommended by PZBarber, and

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/STRAIGHT-Cut-...QQihZ004QQcategoryZ106315QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

which was recommended by elosamurai.

Have any of you tried both, or do you know how they compare? I would like to have one with the weight of a real straight, and with a nice overall build quality. They both look very nice, but the first one is ever so slightly more expensive, and I 'm thinking that there might be a reason why.

Regards,
Alex

Like I said the one that you posted first (recommended by pzbarber) Is a brand new product just now being offered; Im so excited to recieve one of their first!!

As far as the one that I recommended... Well its all about balance for me and the fact that the blades and scales are stainless steel...I also have the one that comes with plastic scales, ( the actual ones pzbarber reviewed) and I found that they actually weigh more than the stainless handles... The stainless handle just seems more equally weighted than the plastic....

Please wait a couple of days and let me take the new one for a test run... and then I'll give you my unbiased opinion...

P.S.- PZbarber- Please don't mind me pointing out your oversite..Forgive me sir..But let me remind you that it was you that introduced me to the sanguine shavette..and now I own their whole line of shavettes.. Thanks for that.. Also my PIF was to ryanshwarz with a brand new one of these.... And earlier this week along with one of my best straights (Puma), I also made Nick (papasmurf) take home a shavette...

I must be of a certain minority here because I am a proponant of shavettes... Dont get me wrong Im a straight blade samurai.. Its just that I found that without even trying,, I 've amassed a shavette collection....(Stay tuned I might have a one day showing of the shavettes this week) they are such lovely ladies that I wish to share...

But not before reviewing what Im calling the reasonable Feather Artist Club... Let me at it!!!

You are correct I do use the older style.

I was also sent 2 of the new style ones by sanguine and I find them to be even better. I had the first of them :001_tongu :001_tongu They have a slightly larger blade holder which gives them more weight. The new style handle is quite funky looking and chunkier making it nicer to hold.

IMO they are both very good razors. OK they don't have the convenience of the injector type blades but they are nicely weighted and balanced and made to a fairly high standard.

Oh and they are great value for money.

Cheers

Mat

Elosamurai, I just bought one of those old Weck razors like the one you modified in your other thread. Do you use snapped DE blades or Feather AC blades in that? And what do you guys think about the Fromm blades?

Norm

I use the snapped in half DE. But classic shaving has all three types for 2 bux each, including the fromm blade holder if you like those.. I prefer the shorter blade as it allows you to be more nimble with it...Also I find the Fromm blades are not as sharp as a feather snapped in half..

PZbarber beat me to them..well you are on the same side of the pond arent ya.. Hey Matt do go to get them yourself?? I mean does sanguine have a brick and mortar store??
Mine should be here today, so as promised I'll tear one apart in a review!!

I get mine thru evil-bay.

I don't think they have a shop, just the ebay one.

Look forward to your review. It will be interesting to see what someone else thinks of them.

Cheers

Mat

I just ordered 2 shavettes from sanguine; a standard pinch-type and one of the new ones with the clamp mechanism. I look forward to trying them and seeing if they live up to their rave reviews...

I ordered the one PZBarber recommended (with a black handle). As I'm totally new to straight shaving my opinion won't be worth much, but I'm looking forward to trying it, and I suspect I will get back to you gents for advice on technique.

Alex

The method of shaving is similar to straight razor shaving. The way it feels and the results you get are somewhat different. I think if you like your shavette you will love a straight.

Glen

The method of shaving is similar to straight razor shaving. The way it feels and the results you get are somewhat different. I think if you like your shavette you will love a straight.

Glen

The thing is that I've never shaved with either a shavette or a straight, so I'm a complete beginner. I feel confident about my safety razor technique, however, so I think I'm ready for the next step.
How would you describe the different results between a shavette and a straight?

Alex

Having just now tried my sanguine for the first time I can now comment on this. Shavettes cut like DE's but handle like straights. This is to say, the results of a shavette and DE are similar, if not identical. My straights give me a different kind of shave, normally a little closer and less irritation. I dislike the light weight of the shavette, but appreciate its handling and abilities in tight spaces.

I think if one wants to learn to straight shave, a shavette is a good transitional tool for them. I'm going to give these things another week, but so far it looks like I prefer real straights. I'll trade the convenience for quality and comfort.

the results of a shavette and DE are similar, if not identical

Without wanting to sound facetious :biggrin: you are using a DE blade so the result is going to be somewhat the same. I agree the sanguine shavette is quite light but I personally think it has a lot more weight and balance than some of the pressed tin items you can buy for a lot more money.

I also agree that a real straight can be a little less irritating on the skin but I would put that down to practice and experience. You need a little less angle than a DE but a little more than a straight.

I like them and the convenience for me is the key especially when shaving people in the shop.

Cheers

Mat

Top Bottom