What's new

First str8 ? Dovo "Black Star" Pakkawood-Red VS. Thiers-Issard "Evide Sonnant Extra"

I'm going to buy my first str8 in a few days. I've noticed two razors; the Dovo "Black Star" pakkawood-red and the Thiers-Issard "Evide Sonnant Extra".
I have read some reviews concerning bad experiences with Dovo-razors... so I'm not so sure which one to buy...

Dovo "Black Star"Pakkawood-Red
5/8 High Carbon Steel
Full Hollow ground

Thiers-Issard "Evide Sonnant Extra" Black
5/8 Carbon Steel
Extra Hollow Ground
Black synthetic handle

I suppose either one might be a good choice. :smile: As for me, the two absolute-best in my collection (the ones I use all the time) are from Thiers-Issard (slightly higher-level models), while I've had rather bad luck with Dovo. So you might say that I am prejudiced. It is true that the Dovo razors tend to look nicer in regards to finish and decoration, but I feel that the TI people have focused on good blades. But, in reality, the only proper way to tell the difference is get them both honed up and try them on your own face. Sadly, this is seldom possible.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
Of course, you can always send the razor off for a set of custom scales from any one of the scale-masters out there. So if the plain look or possible less-thann-wonderfull finish of the TI scales is a drawback, that's not a permanent condition.

My Lynn Abrams honed Dovo Special is a great shaver, no complaints; but I have not tried a TI yet so I cannot compare.

It is my understanding from various readings that TIs have stiffer steel. FWIW.

I would suggest that if you can look for a member who can provide you a shave ready razor, and invest the rest in a nice Tony Miller strop.

But if you insist on picking between the 2 I would go with the Dovo. They are very good shavers.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
From the looks of the other two threads, you are well set up for razors! Now all you need is a good strop, and a hone, and a brush, and some soaps, and another brush, and some creams, and a paddle strop, and another brush, and some aftershave, and some Prorasso pre/post, and another brush, and some more soaps, and another razor, and ...

Top Bottom