What's new

Nikon D40 or D40X (Body Only)

I'm happy with my Canon PowerShot A70. However, my professional photographer ex-wife (a Nikon "addict" since the 1970s) would love me to buy her a Nikon DSLR, now that I'm no longer paying child support :wink: We were talking the other day, and I casually asked her what she thought about the Nikon D40; she likes it fine, especially since it would enable her to continue using her wide assortment of Nikon SLR lenses.

So, here's my question: Does anyone here on B&B have any knowledge-of and/or experience-with the Nikon D40 or D40X? If so, how's about sharing with me/us?

Thanks in advance, and smooth shaving!

I'm a Nikon user myself. From my limit knowledge of the D40 and D40x the autofocus won't work with all lenses. That might now be a problem for you wife since she is a pro and probably will manual focus anyways.

"While the D40 can use almost any Nikon F-mount lens, it will only support autofocus on AF-S and AF-I lenses, of which are there are about sixteen at this point"

Another sticking point for myself is this... for those who manually focus there are 2 dials on the camera for your right hand which make it easier to set the shutter speed and aperture. But with the D40 there is only one and you have to go into the menu to set the other.

The D50 and up have a screen on the top of the camera to check your settings. Which is a plus but not necessary.

All in all the D40 looks like a great buy!

Here are 2 websites to review before considering the purchase. Also check into the D50, 70, 80 before purchasing.

http://www.dcresource.com/reviews/nikon/d40-review/
http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/nikond40/

Hey JB... With all the money you are saving on styptic pencils, buy her a D-80.. :wink: As she was a professional photographer, she will find the D-40 leaves her hungering for more.

Hey JB... With all the money you are saving on styptic pencils, buy her a D-80.. :wink: As she was a professional photographer, she will find the D-40 leaves her hungering for more.

Being a Canon fan only, I can give you my impression that the D40 is more Consumer based as the D80 is ProSumer based. We have both at Costco if you would like me to check the prices.

If your wife is a Nikon addict, she probably has a bunch of high-end lenses. Some of those lenses will likely not work (well) with the D40(x). Manual focus is a pain on any camera that does not have a decent viewfinder. The D40(x) is no exception. If your ex-wife has experience with good viewfinders, she may be terribly disappointed with the D40(x). Whatever you intend to buy, take her to a store where she can check out the contenders and make up her own mind. For a newcomer, though, the D40(x) seems to be very good choice. Best - MM

The D40/x, D50, and D80 are all aimed at the consumer. The 70/x more towards prosumer, and the D200 at the upper end of prosumer and into the pro level. If your wife is used to pro cameras with large viewfinders, she may be frustrated with anything less than a D200. I hate to push for a more expensive camera, but once you know how good something can be, it's hard to go back. And as others have said regarding manual lenses, the D200 is really where manual focus starts working again, both in metering and ability to focus with the available viewfinder. Find out what type of lenses she has and let us know. That will let us tell you which cameras will work with what she already has.

I have the D200 and must agree with LetterK. I have a couple of friends with the D40 and it is a very nice camera. But you say your ex-wife is a professional photographer, and I believe she would be happier with the options offered on the D200.

I have the D200 and must agree with LetterK. I have a couple of friends with the D40 and it is a very nice camera. But you say your ex-wife is a professional photographer, and I believe she would be happier with the options offered on the D200.

+1 on what jlander said. The D200 is the DSLR prosumer camera to beat. Go to kenrockwell.com if you want more proof. I have a D50 and I love it. I have a Nikon film SLR and I love it too but my next DSLR will be the D200.

Top Bottom