What's new

Making lather directly on face with side of brush --- brush tips too soft ?

I have only used one brush in shaving , a badger brush with very uniform beige color hairs given to me as a gift some years ago. The knot is mounted in a plain wooden handle with no brand name. The brush seems very nice so I have never had reason to learn about brushes.

(1) Are the monochrome beige hairs any indication of the brush's quality ?

(2) Creating lather directly on my face by finger rubbing with a small amount of Proraso then lathering up with the SIDE of the brush rather than the tips of the hairs, if anything ever happens to this brush should I look for a brush with coarser hairs so the tips are more like the current brush's side hair ? Using the side of the current brush almost immediately creates good lather but the tip of the brush takes far longer. I use the tip of the lather filled brush for the second and third passes of the razor.

I have a badger that is too soft to lather soaps with. I put an elastic band around the hair about a half inch from the base. It stiffened the hairs enough to lather hard soaps, and it is adjustable.

I have a badger that is too soft to lather soaps with. I put an elastic band around the hair about a half inch from the base. It stiffened the hairs enough to lather hard soaps, and it is adjustable.

In the same vein, I sometimes squeeze down on the bristles a little (like the two fingers in the brush to lather the mustache area, but with three fingers) to do the same thing. Helps to get into the soap better with a softer brush.

Top Bottom