What's new

Pipe smoking

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
How would you pipe smokers compare it to cigar smoking? There is no wrapper like a cigar, so most of the flavor comes directly from the smoke?...do you delight more in the fragrance of the smoke rather than the taste? Or both? I like cigars occasionally, ISOMs mostly, and could use another AD like a another hole in the head, but what the heck, right??:biggrin1:

How would you pipe smokers compare it to cigar smoking? There is no wrapper like a cigar, so most of the flavor comes directly from the smoke?...do you delight more in the fragrance of the smoke rather than the taste? Or both? I like cigars occasionally, ISOMs mostly, and could use another AD like a another hole in the head, but what the heck, right??:biggrin1:
IMO there is no comparison, cigars are nice, but the prices on fine cigars is just a little crazy to me. Pipes, there is such a vast variety of awesome tobaccos ranging in a large price margin. The pleasure I get from smoking pipes is unsurpassed by cigars or cigarettes. Chose your blends and some nice pipes and you'll be wearing a happy face ! :biggrin1: If ya gotta smoke like me :tongue_sm I recommend smoking a pipe.

Actually, I would say it's the other way around.

A huge part of how pipe tobacco smokes is based on the quality of the Briar. The same pipe tobacco blend will taste different from pipe to pipe. When you get a real magical piece of briar, it will elevate the taste experience to somewhere you never thought imaginable.

For me, the complexity of flavor is greater in pipe smoking than cigar smoking. That said, I still enjoy a nice Havana cigar and also some non-Cuban cigars from the Padron family, Fuente family, Pepin Garcia, Perdomo etc etc.

I know many people talk about "how important the wrapper leaf is" in terms of cigar flavor but for me it's more about the wrapper leaf touching your lips. As a percentage of the cigars composition, it's very small. I have done experiments with the same filler leaf and different wrappers, using a meerschaum cigar holder and the differences were hardly noticeable.

Just from personal experience; don't get into pipe smoking unless you want a very expensive AD; trust me:biggrin1:

Just from personal experience; don't get into pipe smoking unless you want a very expensive AD; trust me:biggrin1:
I'd argue that pipe smoking is much more reasonable. Every hobby has ultra-expensive high end stuff; for cigars it's the consumable product that is the most expensive. Sure, hundreds of dollars can be dropped on fine Dunhill pipes, one for each blend a person enjoys. But the consumable matter (tobacco) is by far more reasonable.

The world of pipe tobacco is much more diverse than cigars. There is a wide variety of acceptable flavors on top of having a variety of tobacco leaves and different curing processes. This is contrasted to cigars which are (classically) unflavored and as such can suffer from consistency issues.

I can't smoke indoors, but I think pipe smokers value the resulting room aroma nearly as much as the smoke itself. And pipe smoke is much much less noxious than cigars.

My recommendation would be to sample house blends at a local tobacconist using some very cheap corn cob pipes (which are perfectly acceptable to smoke with). I'd hesitate to jump right into briar pipes while still learning the flavors of various tobacco varieties.

I enjoy both. I have many briar pipes as well as alternative wood pipes such as Zebrawood, African Blackwood, Walnut, Cherry, and a host of others. I smoke a pipe to relax. I smoke a cigar to have fun.

I'd argue that pipe smoking is much more reasonable. Every hobby has ultra-expensive high end stuff; for cigars it's the consumable product that is the most expensive. Sure, hundreds of dollars can be dropped on fine Dunhill pipes, one for each blend a person enjoys. But the consumable matter (tobacco) is by far more reasonable.

The world of pipe tobacco is much more diverse than cigars. There is a wide variety of acceptable flavors on top of having a variety of tobacco leaves and different curing processes. This is contrasted to cigars which are (classically) unflavored and as such can suffer from consistency issues.

I can't smoke indoors, but I think pipe smokers value the resulting room aroma nearly as much as the smoke itself. And pipe smoke is much much less noxious than cigars.

My recommendation would be to sample house blends at a local tobacconist using some very cheap corn cob pipes (which are perfectly acceptable to smoke with). I'd hesitate to jump right into briar pipes while still learning the flavors of various tobacco varieties.
Yes Sir nothing wrong at all with a cob, I agree 100% with your post.

I enjoy both. I have many briar pipes as well as alternative wood pipes such as Zebrawood, African Blackwood, Walnut, Cherry, and a host of others. I smoke a pipe to relax. I smoke a cigar to have fun.
+1, good philosophy!

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
Great info BOTL's. I will look into a cob pipe. I actually tried pipe smoking years ago but only got hot, bitter plugged pipes and smokes. This was before the Internet revolution so I had zero info on what to do...looks like it's time for round two.

Be sure to take a look at the GE sticky and ask any questions as they occur to you, we can help get you on your way.

One thing I would add is that pipe smoking is a learned skill more so than cigar smoking. Failure to take care in learning the necessary skill set can result in the poor experience described earlier. This can lead many to become frustrated so take it easy, pack light, go slow, and give yourself time to relax and enjoy it.

Kentos,

Funny thing about pipe smoking, I assume you are referring to aromatic tobaccos when you talk about the fragrance...unfortunately for some weird reason those wonderfully smells can't really be appreciated much when you are the one smoking. They call it room note and the other people in the room get to enjoy it, but not you. As for comparisons to cigars, I enjoy both but find the pipe more relaxing, and good for solitary contemplation or just enjoying a nice evening out on my balcony. Cigars are more of a sociable experience, great for when out drinking with the boys. At least that is my take on it. I recommend you give pipes a try. I think it would be well suited to people who enjoy DE or straight razor shaving as it requires technique and practice to get it right. It's about slowing down and enjoying the finer things in life. Also with all the different pipes and tobaccos there are endless variations to explore and enjoy. It doesn't cost much unless you start falling in love with various handcrafted pipes. I have about a dozen myself, but have aquired more tobacco and pipes than I could possibly need so I stopped purchasing. Hopefully that wont happen here with my new pursuit of DE shaving.

If you do take it up, be patient, as there is certainly a learning curve unlike cigars. Good luck!

Last edited:

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
Thanks everyone! I am going to hit the local tobacconist to see what the initial damage will cost. I am apprehensive since ADs hit me pretty hard, and the SWMBO is getting good at sniffing out my purchases...he he he.

Just because I like re-hashing old threads ;)

As mentioned, a good pipe is essential, HOWEVER a cob pipe is a fantastic method of tasting different tobacco's. I've always preferred aromatics, and at least with cob pipes they are that cheap that you can safely have multiple pipes to be able to fully taste each tobacco without cross contamination, or at least have one for aromatics and one for English style blends.

I enjoy pipes on my own or with one other person who enjoys them or cigars, great for sitting around on a property or balcony with a drink and just relaxing.

One of my favourite tobacco's is erinmore mixture, to me it has a strong scent of pineapple and anise and smokes smooth. Personally I really dislike the flavoured Borkum Riff Tobacco's though.

As others have said, you don't really taste the "smell" of pipe tobacco. But your friends and family will appreciate it more than a cigar. I find the taste to be very pleasant. Although, I enjoy a good cigar occasionally. But the pipe allows you to try a variety of tobaccos at low costs. Most shops will let you sample anything in the store. And a bowl of the tobacco costs pennies and lasts a good hour or more! Find a good cigar for that price!

I usually smoke my pipe when I'm working on my scooter, or mowing the lawn. It's a really nice way to keep my hands busy while I think.
I got one of my pipes passed down to me from my grandfather. It's a Medico of some sort worth about $20 now adays, but it surpasses many other pipes I've tried or seen by far (IMO). It has a permanent metal filter in the bottom of the bowl which I love.

It's pretty nice to have a pipe, YOUR pipe, which you can keep forever and pass down. I highly recommend it!

A word of advice is to be sure to get a good quality tobacco or a house blend and stay away from cheap pouches with a bunch of additives. The lower grade tobacco is mixed with glycerin to help it burn which produces a bitter, gooey, amber liquid that will have you spitting and gagging quick. These tobaccos require a filter to help absorb the goo. Good quality tobacco needs no glycerin or additives to burn well, just a pure leaf, and require no filter because they produce little amber.
+1 on the corn cob. they are great for trying new blends and finding what you like.

I prefer a pipe to a cigar, but I prefer a hookah to both of them. After traveling to the United Arab Emirates, I was introduced to hookahs and immediately took favor to them. The smoke from a hookah is cooler than a pipe's or a cigar's smoke, and the slow burning nature of hookah (about 2 hours for a session) allows for more socialization among my friends who also smoke with me.

Top Bottom