What's new

'Proper' way to store pipe tobacco?

Gonna beat a dead horse. Keep ALL pipe tobacco out of the same humi as your priceless puros. Also, don't mix "natural" cigars with " flavored" ones (Acid's and such) because they WILL impart funkiness on your other cigars. I know it sounds impractical, but each of the three types must be separated. I keep my pipe tobacco in a mason jar as suggested by other folks on this thread. It's always worked for me.

I always store my tobacco in a Mason/Kilner jar.....An old pipe smoker years ago recommended a slice of apple or potato to keep the baccy moist in the pouch...but I found the potato or apple went mouldy....If my baccy gets a bit dry ...which is not very often....I put a drop or two of Rum or Scotch in with it to revive it......

I'm fairly new to all this, but I'm wondering ...

What about putting one of those round humidifiers intended for humidors on the inside of the mason jar lid? Wouldn't that keep the pipe tobacco moist and fresh without needing to occasionally revitalize it with a few drop of your favorite liquid?

If you jar seals well there is no need for a humidification disc, but they make little ones for pipe tobacco jars if its a problem. Some pipe tobacco humidors are not meant for long term storage and the infrequent smoker or one with a large rotation would find them useful there. If tobacco is drying out in a mason jar it would be better to figure out why it doesn't seal and solve that problem.

Top Bottom