What's new

What is the Absolute Best Margarita Mix?

3 oz 100% Agave Reposado
1 oz Curacao blue if you feel like getting fancy!
Fresh squeezed lime juice
Served on the rocks

Re: specific selections

I love cointreau. Trip Sec is serviceable for batches.

Major ixnays on Cuervo though chaps. Cuervo isn't even tequila. It's 51% tequila, 49% rubbing alcohol :001_tongu I think it may be the most overpriced popular liquor there is. Go with 100% agave or don't go at all!

I love a good Margarita!

Sadly I have yet to find the best margarita mix!

Can you gents help me out?

Thanks!

And you never will. There is no such thing as a good margarita MIX. Do the right thing. Make your maragritas from fresh ingredients.

Edit: I should have read further before commenting. Regarding "how hard it is to squeeze 20 or 30 limes" because you are making a large quantity for your guests - I don't make my guests drink crap. Get a juicer (electric or hand operated press) and do the work in advance. The juice will keep overnight in the fridge. Also, remember that accuracy counts in drink making, too. MEASURE when you pour. The pros all do.

Last edited:
If you can't squeeze fresh lime juice, the Nelly & Joes Key West Lime Juice will do in a pinch. For sweetener, use agave syrup. And it's hard to beat Cointreau for your orange liqueur.

This is what I recommend as well. That agave really brings a little something extra. Sometimes a little squeeze of fresh orange juice is nice to add in, too.

As for tequila, we usually use Cazadores around here. Herradura makes it into the mix sometimes, but usually Cazadores. To switch things up, I highly recommend margaritas on the rocks instead of the frozen slushie style. No brain freeze and it's a classy presentation (no salt on the shaken ones, though, unless you're really into that sort of thing).

Last edited:
One of the best margaritas I ever had used a mix. And I have had many different ones, higher end to the lower end, freshest ingredients to all mix. But had other stuff in it. For the recipe below I use whatever mix is on sale and it tastes the same each time. I think it helps add a little more tang and rounds out the flavors. I also think the orange juice is a nice complementing addition. I could drink these all day. Always on the rocks :001_smile

1 oz. Tequila
1/4 oz. Triple Sec
1/2 oz. Lime Juice
1/2 oz. Orange Juice
1 oz. Margarita Mix

As for juicers I have one of these and it works great. I am not one for uni-taskers in general, but I use it very frequently.
proxy.php

Last edited:
If you can't squeeze fresh lime juice, the Nelly & Joes Key West Lime Juice will do in a pinch. For sweetener, use agave syrup. And it's hard to beat Cointreau for your orange liqueur.

That's what we do at home, minus the agave syrup. Can't be beat except by substituting the Nelly's for fresh squeezed. Even with the Nelly's, it's 1000 times better than any mix I've had.

Top Bottom