What's new

Dovo or Parker shavette?

The main issue for traveling with a real straight is that I would have to check a bag when flying. With the Parker or the dovo I can stick it in my carry on and just pick up a pack of DE blades when I get where I'm going. I also just don't want to have to deal with stropping and honing while traveling.
Thanks

I just flew with a Parker SR1 in my carry-on (coming from LAX). Be prepared to do at least a little explaining.

I put the razor in the tray with my bag of liquids, completely spread out with the blade holder opened up. It seemed like at one point or another, every TSA staffer in that particular terminal came over to look at the thing, and I repeatedly explained that the raozor was not sharp, used disposable blades, and that I had no blades in my bag as I planned on buying those at my destination. Ultimately I was told that I could take it this time but not to try to carry it on a plane again.

Logically, shavettes and such should fall under the same category as a DE safety razor for TSA purposes, but they're uncommon enough that most screeners probably haven't ever seen one or understand the particulars of them.

Of course, as with everything else regarding airport security, YMMV (they've only been unified under the Feds for 10 years now, the public should understand that common application of standard policies takes time....)

For those looking at a disposable-blade razor for straight-shaving, there are definitely reasons to use one with a barber-style full blade rather than a half-DE or SE holder.

I bought my SR1 to learn technique and angles without needing to also learn edge maintainence at the same time (and also to avoid getting too financially invested before deciding if shaving that way was for me), but ultimately found out that using a "real" straight is, in some ways easier than the parker; primarily, the half-DE holder does leave a corner protruding which doesn't align with the end of the holder and I carved myself up pretty well a couple times with that corner. A full-edge disposable blade (I think the derby blades are in this category) at least has the corner of the blade visible.

On the other hand, if it's for travel, DE blades will be much easier to find wherever you go whereas derby or similar blades are much less commonly sold in retail stores. If you're just looking to not need to strop on the road but will still check a bag (and could then travel with blades), this issue would be of less concern. I have recently learned that the quality of available choices at drugstores in different regions does vary greatly, though (couldn't even find Wilinson Sword blades in Seattle this last weekend, the store-brand ones I did find were a little questionable).

Overall, the SR1 is a good unit (I picked it figuring the weight of the steel blade-holder would better simulate the weight of a real razor than the aluminum of the Dovo, also the Dovo cost twice as much), it's pretty identical in behavior to a regular straight, but doesn't have any of the flex of a hollow-ground blade and has a much shorter edge length. I don't use it at home anymore since I've got a rotation of regular straight razors now which do provide a better and more comfortable shave when they're properly honed/stropped. It's at least perfectly adequate, and depending on one's needs could be the best available option

Indeed, the Dovo is lighter than the Parker models. However, IMHO, for a beginner, I'm finding the Dovo more user friendly, being a straightrazor newbie. The combination of blade exposure and angle you can achieve with the holder seem to give me a better safety net, until I improve my technique. Hope this helpsl

I don't own or have never tried a Parker. Not that I don't wish to but I found the Dovo easier to acquire here in Ireland.

The red blade holder that comes supplied with the Dovo comes down to the edge of half a DE blade when loaded properly so no fear of the corner cutting you.
I found the blade holder holds it nice and tight too.
I recently travelled home to New Zealand and used that all the way with no issues. I did take blades with me as opposed to finding them there.
I've found Astra Platinum to be really good as well as red Personna (Israeli).
The weight was not an issue for me, I simply bought this to see if straight shaving was for me.
I like my Dovo but I'm now thinking of getting a Parker just to see the difference.

Top Bottom