What's new

Good product for ingrown hairs?

S

Sfarshchian

Hi all, first time posting here at B&B.

I've been wetshaving for a few months now and have been really enjoying the experience. Cartridges were leaving my skin feeling on fire, so I was really excited when I got a much less irritating shave with a DE. My current setup is a Parker 71r loaded with a Merkur or Feather, Proraso white soap and Proraso pre/post as an aftershave. This worked pretty well for me all winter. Now that I'm back in my summer job (short order chef - constant grease and sweat all over my face), I've been forced to shave daily and I'm finding this usually leaves my skin pretty irritated. Being of Middle Eastern descent, my hair is coarse and wiry and this tends to lead to ingrown hairs. So my question is: does anyone have any recommendations for an aftershave that will help combat ingrown hairs and irritation, preferably within the budget range of a college student?

Much appreciated.

My old college roommate swears by just digging ingrown hairs out with tweezers or a box knife. That would be pretty cheap.

I recently had some issues with some ingrown hairs left over from before I switched to DE. Using a soft dry toothbrush to rub over the ingown helps loosen it. I was also using Bump Patrol right after shaving prior to putting on a regular aftershave. It took a few weeks to clear up, but that's what worked for me. Hope it helps.

Mentos Ultra Facial Conditioiner is very reasonable but you do have to get it from a barber supply so you might have a shipping cost unless you can find it in town.

My old college roommate swears by just digging ingrown hairs out with tweezers or a box knife. That would be pretty cheap.

thats what ive done.

i had neck surgery 2 years ago, and after a week they removed the bandage and I was too afraid to shave close to the incision and had to pluck out each hair. that was scarier then the first time i stood in front of the mirror with a straight razor to shave....but not much

Dont press too hard on the razor, DE or cart. Thats my biggest mistake.

+1
Technique is the key. Use light, short strokes with the grain. I've heard people prone to ingrown hairs should avoid shaving against the grain as it's the cutting of the hairs that can make hairs curl back under the skin. I believe AOS makes some ingrown hair treatment. I've not used it as it's not common that I get them, but could be worthwhile checking out. Look around online as you should be able to find some help from dermatology-type sites. Good luck and welcome aboard!

Technique is not the only issue with ingrown hairs. Sometimes it's a simply a matter of hair type and skin sensitivity.

You have to have experienced it to understand it.

Technique is not the only issue with ingrown hairs. Sometimes it's a simply a matter of hair type and skin sensitivity.

You have to have experienced it to understand it.

No one said it is. Certain people are predisposed to getting them so hence technique in shaving is more important for them than the average Joe.

I have written extensively on the subject of ingrown hairs here. I fought them for my entire adult life and have basically beaten it. It is all about technique and a little about products. Here is what I recommend:

1. an aggressive shaver like a slant or futur
2. exfoliate in the shower first with a scrubby, salux cloth or a wash cloth.
3. Cold water shaving.
4. Preshave oil
5. WTG relather then XTG and that's it. After 6 months to a year you can add more passes.
6. Rub an alum rock on face and wait a few minutes. Rinse off with cold water.
7. Either baby oil or coconut oil for aftershave.

Anytime you get an ingrown just use an ingrown hair tweezer and get it out.

But the real key in all of this is to really know your hair directions. Just get real close to the mirror and really pay attention to it. I still sometimes brush the lather right before shaving in the hair direction just as a blade guide. My hairs change directions all over the place and likely your do as well. Just shave in small quadrants, ZERO pressure, and don't run over the same spot over and over again.

Last edited:
Check out Bump Patrol, seems to really work well for me.

This.

The bump patrol aftershave and then a little bit of unrefined shea butter to moisturize. That does it for me. I still get one or two bumps, but not too much to grab with some pointy end tweezers.

Last edited:
@Optionyout: I would like to add the Merkur Progress with a Feather blade to this list, as I have found this to help immensely. I also exfoliate in the shower with a scrubby prior to shaving, having found it effective. If you cannot shower before you shave, use the hot towel barber method. That method leaves your skin so smooth that you'll develop diaper rash.

Speaking of pre-shave oil, I have just recently started using the AOS Unscented again after initially disliking it. The key was applying a small amount to wet hands and a wet face. The oil is excellent for those who shape-up beards and/or goatees and need to be able to see what they're doing.

Against the grain causes bumps on my face. Now, that is most likely a technique issue as I normally shy away from it, and have only recently started doing it. On my cheeks it is not a problem as long as I move slowly, but it irritates the hell out of my neck.

Alum blocks are a Godsend! Specifically, that Thai Crystal Stick deodorant, which can also double as an alum block. I highly recommend it.

Baby oil and Coconut oil are not options for everyone, especially those with oily skin, but what I have found to work well is the AOS Unscented Aftershave Balm applied with wet hands to a wet face. In other words, cut it with water, and don't use more than a US dime-sized amount on your cheeks. Use another dime-sized amount solely for your neck. The Shea butter and Vitamin C work wonders for healing. If Shea butter is not your thing, look at the Clinique Post Shave Healer.

Tweezerman makes those awesome ingrown hair tweezers that you have to own. After shaving, run your fingers across your face while checking for bumps, and remove them with the tweezers. They are about $20 locally, or $11 online.

Mentos Ultra Facial Conditioiner is very reasonable but you do have to get it from a barber supply so you might have a shipping cost unless you can find it in town.

This product works wonders.:thumbup1:
It ended my ingrown hair problem in two weeks. Just use it three times daily. I still splash some on every day.

If I didn't make it clear I do use creams or soaps after applying the preshave oil. The bumpfighter and tends in don't solve anything. Ingrowns occur from curly hairs being shaved incorrectly and what promotes it is nonexfoliated, dry skin that makes it easier for the hairs to both avoid being cut and easier to penetrate. Those products can't make your hair less curly, don't make you shave better, and at least for me dry out my skin so bad I look like scaly and am flaking all over the place.

Coconut oil is quickly absorbed by the skin and doesn't leave you oily or promote clogged pores, pimples, or blackheads.

Haven't heard anyone mention this yet, but maybe you should switch blades. I have similar problems with anything but Gillette greens and yellows (both of Russia). I've never used Merkurs but Feathers are pretty harsh to me, and I value an irritation-less DFS over a BBS that ends up with my skin being inflamed. I've heard Personnas are pretty smooth too but haven't snagged a pack yet to test.
As far as aftershaves go my best are bay rum and generic witch hazel ($3 US at any pharmacy).
Best of luck. Getting rid of that irritation is why I switched to DE shaving and it was frustrating when I didn't get the results I wanted even after several months.

Alcohol or witch hazel dry the skin. It's like fertilizer for hairs to grow back in to the skin.

I used to get so many of them. Each day I'd have a picking session. I'd always miss some and eventually I'd be pulling out inch long hairs. I have been there and now I'm over it. I get one or two here or there but I go weeks now without one when I went 20 years never not having one.

+1 on Honed's suggestion to use a straight razor to prevent and eliminate razor bumps. I found the shaving tool makes more of a difference than topical products and while any single edge will help to prevent ingrowns, regular use of a sharp straight is the best strategy.

Top Bottom