What's new

DE Razor & straight razor shavers get in here. Need help identifying and cleaning

I recently got into wet shaving with a de razor. Best shave I've ever had. My dad learned of this and told me his father did the same. I never knew my grandfather. He passed on before I was born. Low and behold, my dad kept the razors his father used and now has given them to me.

I need help in cleaning them and figuring out how to add a razor to the DE razor. Pics of course:

My dad's side of the family lived in Greece during WWII.

I miss-matched the boxes with the razors.
This has tiger 66 on the razor.
proxy.php

Not sure who makes this one. Writing is in Greek.
proxy.php

This is a Gillette though I do not know what kind or how to use it. It has an adjuster I'm guessing to adjust how close or loose of a shave you want. You unscrew the bottom which opens the top. It won't accept a normal double razor blade. I have single edged razors though I'm not sure how they fit in.

proxy.php

Here is a strop for the straight razors. I'm not sure if it's still good or not as it's now very hard.
proxy.php

Old brush. Doubt I would use this again as a brush is a brush and the one I currently have would work just fine.

proxy.php

Schick razors to go in the Gillete safety razor.
proxy.php

So how can I clean this stuff up so I can use it. There's a bit of rust on the straight razors and I'm not even sure how to put the razor blades into the safety razor.

go to the straight razor subforum and you can find that cleaning up those 2 razors is pretty easy, just takes some time and high grit automotive sandpaper, possibly some compound.
honestly, they're in GREAT condition.
they're both from Solingen so they're quality.

you should be able to take out the knot in the brush, do some simple cleanup on the handle and put in a knot from the golden nib or rudy vey or even thewhippeddog

seriously though, those straights are beautiful

http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php?t=188442

Last edited:
Looking closely the rust seems very light in that I could almost rub it off. Probably a light chemical of some kind to clean it then a buffering to shine it back up.

That DE is a Super Adjustable and actually should take DE blades just fine. Nice score! There also should be a date code with a letter and a number. I think on that razor it is inside the doors, or it could possibly be on the bottom plate too. The Wiki here will tell you how old it is for sure.

I could be wrong, but I think those Schick blades are injectors, they would not fit the Gillette.

You're correct :wink2:

Those blades are injector blades, and they will not work for the gillette LHSA.

The Gillette you have pictured takes standard double edge razor blades. Any blade made since 1930 should fit it just fine

Ok, so dad tried to clean them up a bit too. The gillete has U 2 under it.

The straight razors are cleaner if anything they now have a dull polish to it.

One issue is one straight razor has some gold coloring on it. It looks like if we try to polish it or remove the rust, it will take off the gold with it. Any suggestions?

The other things is how to disinfect these things so they are safe to use. Sorry but pics are from cell phone.

proxy.php

proxy.php

the edge on the greek razor looks like it needs some work. then a hone. the tiger looks like it just needs a hone. there are tons of people here who can help you, just post in the straight restoration forum and they can give you a lot more advice.

you can disinfect them with a wipe down of rubbing alcohol.

but do NOT shave with either of them until they've been honed and the edge on the greek has been fixed.

As already said, those straights needs to be honed to be usable in any way.
Check the straight razor forum.

Top Bottom