What's new

More masculine version of Mugler Cologne?

I recently received a generous 10ml sample bottle of Mugler Cologne in the mail and I like it but I like it better on a woman then on myself. So Im hoping to find something similarly light and clean but a bit more masculine. Any ideas? Im 32 years old so please no grandad scents like 4711 or Florida Water:Yawn:

First time I ever heard it reffered to as feminine. Its a great masculine scent.

Guerlain vetiver might be more of what you are looking for.

You might like Terre D'Hermes EdT, which has a sharp, flinty, tart opening and transitions into a woody scent, with the flinty tartness continuing. It has more of an orange citrus note than the lemon note in Mugler. It's currently popular and widely available, so no grandad scent.

For a lemony citrus opening that also transitions into a woody drydown, try Dior's Eau Sauvage. It's been around a while, and is not as readily available as TdH, but it's worth the hunt.

We all have our own tastes, but it's certainly not a feminine scent imo.
Creed's Original Vetiver is very similar. But if you think Mugler Cologne is feminine, then you might think the same of OV.

I wouldn't say they smell similar, but the Guerlain Vetiver and Terre d'Hermes recs are pretty good.

I recently received a generous 10ml sample bottle of Mugler Cologne in the mail and I like it but I like it better on a woman then on myself. So Im hoping to find something similarly light and clean but a bit more masculine. Any ideas? Im 32 years old so please no grandad scents like 4711 or Florida Water:Yawn:

Maybe I should try that 4711. I'm 55 :w00t:

For light and clean, my go to is Creed Original Vetiver. As Stylin' said, it's fairly similar to Mugler Cologne, so that might not work for you.

There is a frag company called Gendarme that prides themselves in producing the best fresh and clean frags around. I tried the signature scent and it reminded me of OV to a certain degree although less complex and lasted about an hour. They have other scents in their repertoire as well, but I haven't tried any of them. I'd definitely check them out if you are looking for fresh and clean scents.

Also, I have read in a few places that Sung Homme by Alfred Sung is a clean scent reminiscent of Irish Spring. I can't vouch for this, but I would like to give it a try to see for myself.

There is a frag company called Gendarme that prides themselves in producing the best fresh and clean frags around. I tried the signature scent and it reminded me of OV to a certain degree although less complex and lasted about an hour. They have other scents in their repertoire as well, but I haven't tried any of them. I'd definitely check them out if you are looking for fresh and clean scents.

I used the wear the original Gendarme all the time. My wife really liked it on me.

Gendarme is great suggestion. But it is pretty light in the longevity department. There is an EdP version that has better longevity.

I have Gendarme 20 which is infused with a bit of lavender and lasts pretty well. Smells liked a freshly starched shirt.

The Gendarmes are all fresh light scents, but my concern with OP is having no grasp on what his sense of "masculine" is. I might also suggest Prada Infusion d'Homme, which is tenacious and soapy. Prada Amber Pour Homme also kind of light. Both of these are modern, but not super masculine in the general wet shaver sense.

Last edited:
Thanks for all the recommendations. I actually own decants of a few of them, I really like Terre De Hermes and AMen Pure Havane is nice too. Im wondering if maybe Mugler Cologne just doesn't work well with my skin because I have had more then one friend or family member tell me it smelled a bit girly.

I thought Mugler smelled a little feminine too. That's probably why I have never used the bottle that I have more than a couple times.

Thanks for all the recommendations. I actually own decants of a few of them, I really like Terre De Hermes and AMen Pure Havane is nice too. Im wondering if maybe Mugler Cologne just doesn't work well with my skin because I have had more then one friend or family member tell me it smelled a bit girly.

Our own noses are our best guides. It's not a super masculine smell for sure. It's more a clean, soapy scent than anything. There are guys who like the "soapy" type scents and some who don't.

Objectively, whether it smells girly or not, it did to someone who said that to you, and now that kind of scent will always make you tentative. It's not a scent style you should force yourself to like with all the other choices out there.

Someone told me the same thing about a Costume National scent and it killed it for me. (I didn't really like it all that much anyway.)

Last edited:
Yes smell is very subjective. There are many fragrances that get rave reviews that i just don't like and vice versa.

Top Bottom