What's new

Thoughts on TOBS sandalwood

I've been wanting to try TOBS cream for a long time and found a shop locally selling the whole range so I decided to give the sandalwood a go. My initial impressions

1 - WOW this stuff is pungent! A far stronger scent than any cream I've tried before

2 - it lathers very, very easily and gives a damned good shave

3 - it's the only cream I've tried where the scent noticeably sticks around afterwards, it's been a good 45 minutes since I shaved and I can still smell it

4 - it goes well with old spice :thumbup1:

I was a bit taken aback by the power of the scent at first and it's very different to the Mysore talc I use. Much dryer and very musky to the point where I'm not sure how much I like it without the addition of Old Spice as an AS. However I think it smells a little odd because I'm so used to the sweeter sandalwood scent of Mysore, I think it'll grow on me! Is the strength and 'sticking' power a trait shared with other TOBS creams?

The scent of TOBS Sandalwood is indeed very pungent, this is because the cream is scented to match the Sandalwood cologne they offer, and is scented with the respective fragrance oils. As a cologne scented cream it will linger after the shave.. as you've noticed.

It's unique among sandalwood scents. The cream smells fantastic but irritates my skin; the soap doesn't, however. And now that my soap scent has calmed down with use, I can smell the sandalwood notes in the base, especially when lathering. It's such an old school powdery-sweet-spicy-woody fragrance...I love it. :thumbup1:

Sandalwood had the strongest scent of the 6 TOBS I tried. And the scent in the tub didn't fade as much as the others after several months. I had mine well over a year and it was still strong.

It's unique among sandalwood scents. The cream smells fantastic but irritates my skin; the soap doesn't, however. And now that my soap scent has calmed down with use, I can smell the sandalwood notes in the base, especially when lathering. It's such an old school powdery-sweet-spicy-woody fragrance...I love it. :thumbup1:

Love the cream! And now you are forcing me to get the soap!!

Love the cream! And now you are forcing me to get the soap!!

:laugh: If possible, the soap has an even stronger fragrance than the cream when new, and possibly sweeter. Not the greatest soap on the planet, but pretty close to Trumper's formula. Responds well to soaking too.

Thoughts on TOBS sandalwood

TOBS Saldalwood Soap has been my goto for 20 years after buying my first one in London. Still think it is one of the best around after trying heaps of other "recommended-must haves" this year.

Last edited:
I love TOBS. I don't have the Sandalwood because I have AOS Sandalwood and see no reason to have another. I have 4 other TOBS creams and love them all.

And after a tough shift of throwing flight cases and bits of stage around and sweating quite a lot I can STILL smell it. 6 hours later. I'm impressed

I love TOBS. I don't have the Sandalwood because I have AOS Sandalwood and see no reason to have another. I have 4 other TOBS creams and love them all.
I see what you mean about having "another" sandalwood, but the TOBS version is different enough from AOS to warrant consideration. You know you want to try it.... :laugh:

ToBS and AoS sandalwoods are chalk and cheese. However, if you like the AoS, you might be disappointed in the Taylor's. I can't use it - irritates the heck outta my skin because of the sheer amount of fragrance. :blink:

SWMBO detected and identified the scent an hour after I shaved, and that's through an application of Speick ASB, which I consider to be a strong but neutral-ish scent.

I bought a TOBS sample pack and am very happy with the avocado, sandalwood and rose ones so far, and in that order.

I agree about the scent..
It means I dont use aftershave (I dont need to)..
Its a lovely old fashioned "gentlemans club" sort of scent..

I love Taylor's Sandalwood! I live in Virginia and just lifting the lid of this cream is like a visit to Colonial Williamsburg.

Top Bottom