What's new

Acquisitions: Monday June 11th-Sunday June 24th

Status
Not open for further replies.

Antique Hoosier

“Aircooled”
I'll start off this weeks "Score" Thread with the Beautiful Rooney from Don. I purchased it on Saturday morning and it was waiting for me at my Post Office Box this morning (Monday!). Kudos to Don (TAZ) for superb shipping and packaging! I had wanted a Rooney for some time now and I got a really nice one with a beautiful handle! I will try it out tomorrow morning and report back on what I'm expecting to be a sensational experience! Thanks again Don!

I also picked up on eBay a "project" Gillette NEW last night for under 10 bucks shipped. I will show the seller's pic as a "Before" shot and will clean and polish it up and show an "After" shot when I get finished with it. I consider the NEW a fine basic Gillette and this one should look much different after I'm finished with it!

Antique Hoosier

“Aircooled”
Mike,
I thought you were done with buying razors?
You just can't help it, can you? :001_tt2:

Alexander...I was bored....needed a small restoration project and considered the NEW a great basic razor to attempt some general clean and polish to return it to it's Art Deco glory. I guess RAD is never really over, bringing to mind that...Resistance is Futile!!!

Posted this in the wrong Thread:

1 bottle 400ml Floid blue:thumbup1:
1 bottle 400ml Floid amber:thumbup1:

1 GFT's Limes shaving soap in wooden bowl... :laugh:

2x10 CERRUS blades (are on the way to California...)

This actually came last week, but I'll put the pics in this weeks.

full

another of it resting with my other rocket and the TV.

full

Jeff

Last edited by a moderator:
Picked up the J. Peterman Shaving Cream- on sale :thumbup1:
also their Gladstone Bag- on sale as well- Starting to dislike travel by air- so this carry on seems just right.

But most important- GED Rose Shaving Soap- Charles sent it out so quickly that I was able to get two perfect shaves with it this weekend with my 38c and a Gillette Swede blade. :thumbup:

Got this from Keith at Hand Made American. I am blown away at the quality of the workmanship and materials. I am not easily impressed but this is top notch goods. Gets my highest recommendation.

The Strops:
The One on the right is English Bridal Leather on the Front and Split Horse Leather on the back
The second one is his top of the line Strop Horse Leather taken from the butt and tanned Cordovan Style. The front is smooth and the back piece is embossed with a fine linen cut. The handle is custom Horse and the lettering is 24 kt gold.
Both strops are two separate pieces of leather for the front and back

View attachment 8835

View attachment 8836

Magnetic back bench leather 2 Asian Water Buffalo, 1 Split Horse, 1 Linen cut Horse, 1 Full grain Horse and the round pack on the right is an assortment of papers
View attachment 8837
Hard Wool felt and the glass plate for the papers
View attachment 8838
The Corian Base, Glue for the papers, Diamond Spry Paste .25 and Chromium .5 Paste
View attachment 8839

OK for my birthday my wife surprised me today with some goods from Crabtree & Evelyn. Ivory Super Larger Badger Brush by Edwin Jagger, C&E Sienna shave cream, Sienna after shave balm and Sienna hair and body wash. I had planned on ordering a Shavemac Silvertip for my birthday and it would be my first badger brush but I think this one will do just fine. I Just have to get use to the size compared to my Proraso/Omega boar brush. I posted pictures to show how much the brush bloomed after the first shave.

I also picked up on eBay a "project" Gillette NEW last night for under 10 bucks shipped. I will show the seller's pic as a "Before" shot and will clean and polish it up and show an "After" shot when I get finished with it. I consider the NEW a fine basic Gillette and this one should look much different after I'm finished with it!

Mike,

I purchased a Gillette NEW a month or two ago at a little antique shop. It was dark and dirty, just nasty looking. I soaked it overnight in some Simple Green, scrubbed with a soft toothbrush dipped in Simple Green and then gave it a good polishing with some Maas. Man, it looks beautiful, the shiny brass and the copper compliment each other so well. It really looks classy, almost too good to use. Almost. It shaves as good as it looks.

I bought three razors. Two of them Gillette Techs, the third a Gillette blue tip from 1955.

One of the Techs is gold plated, mostly, from the 1940's. It has been heavily used, the gold plating on the head has worn off and the Gillette insignia is barely visible. I shaved with it this morning and it shaves beautifully as if for the first time. Some consider them a bit mild, but I am not complaining. The shave was smooth and nick free. The other is nickle plated from 1955 and looks hardly used at all.

Simpsons Duke 3 Best and Major in Super
Omega badger brush.
TOBS shave stick
GFT Coconut oil SC

Haven't bought anything new in a loooong time! Feels good!:biggrin:

Scored a tub of C&E Sweet Almond Oil cream at TJ Maxx

Also received a Weyersburg 5/8 straight razor. Honed it this morning, it's a great shaver.

And I thought I was done buying things for the moment.

Antique Hoosier

“Aircooled”
Package of 5 BIC Metal Single Blade Razors from that notable Shaving Emporium, The Family Dollar Store. I had shaved with these a longggggggg time ago...perhaps the late 1980's and they are a great disposable razor. I doubt I will attempt a full shave with them as I will usually pack my travel kit with "full size" equipment. These will be used for pesky touch up work from time to time (under the nose, troublesome chin touch up, jawline etc). These were just too tempting at $1.79 for a package 5.

Nice find Mike! Those ARE great disposable razors. I wish I could find them locally to try again (it was eons ago when I first tried them), but I'll keep half-looking when I am out and about.

Taz - Nice, nice, nice! Those strops are beautiful! I have a knife steel from Keith at Hand American and there is always nothing but praise about his products and craftsmanship.

Dennis

Package of 5 BIC Metal Single Blade Razors from that notable Shaving Emporium, The Family Dollar Store. I had shaved with these a longggggggg time ago...perhaps the late 1980's and they are a great disposable razor. I doubt I will attempt a full shave with them as I will usually pack my travel kit with "full size" equipment. These will be used for pesky touch up work from time to time (under the nose, troublesome chin touch up, jawline etc). These were just too tempting at $1.79 for a package 5.

I like those razors too bad you can't find them anymore...I think they were probably the best disposable razor made...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom