What's new

Astra SP variability/knock-offs?

Astra SPs have been one of my favorite blades for awhile. So much so that I used up my stash awhile ago and ordered replacements. I just started on the new packs with my most recent set-up - Joris OC and the Astra SP. Just finished the last shave today, and I've been amazed at how crappy and dull the blade has been from the start. Never really got a single good shave. What's more, when I unloaded the blade today it was covered in rust and the rust has stained the head of the Joris (lots of it) (the blade had been used for a total of 5 days with the razor/blade being air dried without disassembly in a dry room). I'd never seen that happen before with an Astra SP. Of course it may just be a bad blade, and I'm intending to try another in a different razor to check that. But, the dramatic difference in quality from lots of previous experience with this blade prompted me to see if anybody else has noticed anything similar with these blades. Unfortunately, I can't recall from where I ordered these blades. It was about 6 months ago.

Two questions:

1. Has anyone noticed a major decline in Astra SP quality recently or wide variability in quality from blade to blade/pack-to-pack?

2. Anyone aware that there are counterfeit Astra SP blades going around and if so any way to tell the real from the fakes from the blade or package?

Thanks for any insight.

Astra SPs have been one of my favorite blades for awhile. So much so that I used up my stash awhile ago and ordered replacements. I just started on the new packs with my most recent set-up - Joris OC and the Astra SP. Just finished the last shave today, and I've been amazed at how crappy and dull the blade has been from the start. Never really got a single good shave. What's more, when I unloaded the blade today it was covered in rust and the rust has stained the head of the Joris (lots of it) (the blade had been used for a total of 5 days with the razor/blade being air dried without disassembly in a dry room). I'd never seen that happen before with an Astra SP. Of course it may just be a bad blade, and I'm intending to try another in a different razor to check that. But, the dramatic difference in quality from lots of previous experience with this blade prompted me to see if anybody else has noticed anything similar with these blades. Unfortunately, I can't recall from where I ordered these blades. It was about 6 months ago.

Two questions:

1. Has anyone noticed a major decline in Astra SP quality recently or wide variability in quality from blade to blade/pack-to-pack?

2. Anyone aware that there are counterfeit Astra SP blades going around and if so any way to tell the real from the fakes from the blade or package?

Thanks for any insight.

I noticed this as well. It was a blade from the newer, all-cardboard packaging.
I had it in my HD for three days and a clump of rust had built up inside the head.

I have a stash of the the older packaging with the plasic dispensers. I don't recall such a serious rust problem with them, but I'd have to revisit to confirm.

I noticed this as well. It was a blade from the newer, all-cardboard packaging.
I had it in my HD for three days and a clump of rust had built up inside the head.

I have a stash of the the older packaging with the plasic dispensers. I don't recall such a serious rust problem with them, but I'd have to revisit to confirm.

Right. Same here.

Same here. Although I did find the Astra's in the old plastic despensers to be better quality blades than the new cardboard ones...

Uh oh, I just bought a new carton of 100...phew, they are in plastic. :001_tongu

I thought the plastic and cardboard dispensers were just different packing for different countries. I know they typically have different languages on them. I have a pack or two in cardboard and a whole bunch in plastic, but I never opened the cardboard ones. I will have to try them out.

I use only the cardboard wrapped ones in my Joris, and they have been excellent. Got mine from Barber Depot.

You can take the residual rust off the Joris with a bit of Maas and a soft rag; I never leave any blade in a razor unless I have dried it first.

I haven't seen any decline in quality with the Astras and am unaware of any counterfeits out there.

I have the blue and green Astras in cardboard boxes. I have never had rust on a blade. Is there plating loss on the inside of your razor causing electrolosis? I bet almost everything has a counterfiet version out there. I hope it's not your blades!!

Uh oh, I just bought a new carton of 100...phew, they are in plastic. :001_tongu

I thought the plastic and cardboard dispensers were just different packing for different countries. I know they typically have different languages on them. I have a pack or two in cardboard and a whole bunch in plastic, but I never opened the cardboard ones. I will have to try them out.

Where did you get Astra in plastic dispensers. I've only seen cardboard boxes offered.

I have around 200 Left in cardboard all are just fine.
:lol::lol:Must have been tough to check them all before even using them:tongue_sm

I also use the cardboard box Astra SPs as my go-to blade and have not had any problems at all. That being said, I shave every day, use the two and out rule, and spray down with alcohol after every shave. So, I may just not being giving the blade an opportunity to rust.

Where did you get Astra in plastic dispensers. I've only seen cardboard boxes offered.

I had several packs from a few years ago. I think I bought them from someone in Poland.

These I got on ebay. If I recall they shipped from Turkey. It took a few weeks for them to arrive. The seller isn't listing any items right now. I haven't used any from the pack. Maybe I try some to make sure they're legit!

As far as the cardboard boxes go: how many blades are in a box?

I have some but they are not easily accessible right now.

I have the blue and green Astras in cardboard boxes. I have never had rust on a blade. Is there plating loss on the inside of your razor causing electrolosis? I bet almost everything has a counterfiet version out there. I hope it's not your blades!!

Does not appear to be. I bought it new. Perhaps it holds more water in the head and is harder to shake out than other razors. With my other razors, I usually just rinse, shake out excess water and air dry, if it's a stainless blade ( I do an alcohol rinse/dry if carbon steel). Not had this happen before, but will try the same blade in another razor and the Joris with another blade at some point soon to try to get to the bottom of it.

I have a carton of AsSPlats and am working on the second or third cardboard pack. No problems such as described here; but I got this carton months ago. Just used a new one in my '64 Super Speed this morning. I'm going to run and dry that sucker off right now.

If needs be, I can use these strictly in my Treet-branded delrin razor with no risk of rust to it, but I'm now going to examine these blades carefully. That or use 'em once and chuck 'em.

Interesting...mine are all in cardboard, purchased bulk from a good dealer often recommended here (can't recall which, probably West Coast Shaving), never any trace of rust or corrosion on any of them.

If you have a camera handy Mike, perhaps you could post pictures of the cardboard packaging, wrapping, and blade itself. That might provide a basis for comparing and making an educated guess about counterfeit possibilities...or a change at the factory (which seems less likely).

- Bill

Top Bottom