What's new

permanent razor rash?

Hi guys,

I am a newbie from Istanbul (that's where Arko comes :001_rolle). Firstly, thanks for the loads of useful info here. I am starting to get better and better shaves with time, I also kind of enjoy it.

One question though: My skin has become more sensitive in the last few years due to stress and I stupidly shaved against the grain once. Unfortunately, I still have marks on my face due to that particular mistake. They are healing but they won't go away. In addition, I feel that there is discoloration on my neck as well. It looks slightly red in many areas on my neck. I need to get close to mirror to see them but most of the ladies are that detail oriented :001_smile.

Do you know of any method to cure the permanent marks and the slight redness on the neck?

Thanks in advance guys!

JCinPA

The Lather Maestro
Welcome! I am going to let the more experienced fellows offer you advice, I'm pretty new to DE shaving to be offering advice here, but you have definitely come to the right place for an answer!

Good luck!

Welcome to the B!

How long has the rash been there? On occasion (like yesterday), I get various cuts and nicks with straight razor shaving. These spots and slices bleed very little and sting a bit, but invariably they look worse on the second day. Sometimes the marks last for a week or two ... one slice was visible for much longer. They have all faded with time, just like my memory! Ha!

JCinPA

The Lather Maestro
I will wade in here. I have not been DE shaving very long, but I have been shaving for 32 years and I've had rashes before. Now that I think about it, the DE should give you less irritation than what you were using before. I know I am getting less irritation than I got with the Fusion cartridge.

The rash could be sensitive skin, poor shaving technique, an alergic reaction to a product, all sorts of things.

If you are new to DE shaving, I would suggest you go to a mild razor, perhaps a gillette adjustable set on 3, and only shave with the grain with light pressure for a while. You may not get as close a shave as you like, but you can get back to the closeness you used to get with whatever you used before gradually, there is no hurry, right?

Get a very good natural soap. Peruse the soap forum for some advice on what would work best with your skin. I like Mama Bear's glycerin soaps, but everyone reacts differently to different products. Watch every lathering video you can, many times. Become an expert in lathering.

Going easy on yourself with a mild razor, good lather and use a soothing after shave balm, not a splash. See if that settles your neck down for you.

If it does, add an across the grain pass to your routine and stay there for a week as long as the rash does not return. If that works and you are getting a satisfactory shave, you're done. If not, try moving the adjustable to setting #4 and stay there for a week.

What I am advocating is backing up a bit and wading into this gradually. Maybe even go back to your last razor and just use a brush and soap or cream first. I unknowingly waded into this because I used a brush and mug for years using two passes plus touchup in the shower. Adding the DE was a small step for me.

Good luck!

I cannot speak about you specific lesions but typically, redness disappears after a couple of days of no shaving. I once cut my face so bad with the straight that I thought I was going to be scared for life, the cut was deep and it was not straight but I cannot see it anymore. For that cut I used cocoa butter with good results.

What seems more important is that you develop a good technique to reduce the incidence of these cuts and irritation. The main tip here is to watch the pressure and angle and let the razor do its work. And as I always say: aim for comfort, not closeness. Also, I constantly shave against the grain without any problems.

Al raz.

Welcome to B&B!

Have you talked to a dermatologist about this? Perhaps the marks and redness are symptoms of a skin disease.

Thanks for all the replies, I really appreciate it!

Yes, I have eczema on my cheeks, close to my eye area and not only that, I think my skin has got more sensitive overall.
And although they fade away after shaving, I still see the marks and looking closely I would not say I see one single color pattern on my neck. By the way, that against the grain shave was at least 2 months ago. So it is strange that I can still see its traces.

Let's see a doctor :).

Top Bottom