What's new

Fav FP Inks

Sorry if this is a repeat topic. If it is, please direct me to the prior thread.

But what are folks favorite fountain pen inks these days. (I say "these days," because if folks are like me this varies over time.)

For me, Iroshizuku "fuyu syogun" is the current fave, with Iroshizuku "tsuki yo" being my long-time, and perhaps all-time, favorite.

I was fond for a very long time of "Noodler's Air Corp Blue-Black." And have have fairly recently had a passing strong interest in Noodler's "Zhivago."

Each of the iroshizuku inks I've tried have been excellent, as far as the character of the ink. My newest favorite is kon-peki, a very nice turquoise. My long-time (well, as long as I've been using FPs) favorite is asa-gao, a stately and 'respectable' dark blue.

My current favorite is Noodlers La Coulear Royale. It is a beautiful shade of blue and has a nice flow.

Waterman Florida blue is also a nice ink.

In one pen I have Noodler's Blue-Black and in the other Noodler's Black Swan In Australian Roses. I'm happy enough with them that I haven't bothered to buy any others.

I don't have a huge amount of experience with using different brands. Out of everything I've sampled, I really like Noodler's Tiananmen, #41 Brown, and Manjiro Nakahama Whaleman's Sepia. The Whaleman's Sepia is a bit on the dry side, but the color and history behind the ink are just plain awesome. I think the Tiananmen is very underrated as far as red inks go.

Iroshizuku Tsukushi, Konpeki, and Momiji have been consistent residents of my pens for awhile now. I'm a big fan of the Iroshizuku inks in general; interesting colors and lovely shading with an italic nib.

My favorite since it's release has been the Herbin 1670 Anniversary ink. Smooth, shades nice and definitely made for a wet nib. It may sound weird but it's like writing with blood. The Noodler's Black Swan in English Roses is a close second.

Wow, looks like some great inks I need to be trying.

Nice to see the love for Iroshizuku.

I have had good luck with Private Reserve, too.

I have been particularly interested in the Noodler's Manjiro Nakahama Whaleman's Sepia and the Herbin 1670. I did not realize that Nathan T was a Friend. I bet his family sure did have a whaling background.

I just got a bunch of samples of Noodler's ink yesterday. Loaded up Beaverin one pen and Black Swan in Australian Rose. Love both, and can't wait to work my way through the rest of the samples.

Legion

Staff member
The pen on my desk at home has Noodlers Forest Green, and my other pens have a sort of violet colour, which I made myself out of various other inks, trying to replicate a vintage ink in an inscription in a book I saw.

Wow, looks like some great inks I need to be trying.

Nice to see the love for Iroshizuku.

I have had good luck with Private Reserve, too.

I have been particularly interested in the Noodler's Manjiro Nakahama Whaleman's Sepia and the Herbin 1670. I did not realize that Nathan T was a Friend. I bet his family sure did have a whaling background.

I liked the color and story behind the Whaleman's Sepia but it wouldn't flow for me. After an hour or two I'd have to clean the nib to get it going again.

The majority of the time I use black ink. Right now I'm using Private Reserve Velvet Black.

I really like Monteverde Turquoise, it's stunning. Iroshizuke Yu-Yake is also very nice. I keep a pen inked with each of these colors as a back to my regular pen.

You should check out The Goulet pen company if you want try different inks. For $10 a month, including shipping you get a random sample of 5 different inks, about 2 ml per ink. I signed up for it last month and I am really enjoying playing around with different colors with out having to purchase a whole bottle of ink. I used J. Herbin Poussiere de Lune yesterday and was not impressed with it.

You should check out The Goulet pen company if you want try different inks. For $10 a month, including shipping you get a random sample of 5 different inks, about 2 ml per ink. I signed up for it last month and I am really enjoying playing around with different colors with out having to purchase a whole bottle of ink. I used J. Herbin Poussiere de Lune yesterday and was not impressed with it.

That's kinda the point behind Ink Drop. Trying out inks that you may not have otherwise. I've been doing it since February's drop, and only have a couple inks to buy out of the choices I've used so far.

I liked the color and story behind the Whaleman's Sepia but it wouldn't flow for me. After an hour or two I'd have to clean the nib to get it going again.

Just out of curiosity, what pen/nib size were you using? I had a sample of it filled in my Lamy Safari with a 1.5 mm italic nib for about a week before I used it all. Every time I uncapped the pen it took a little while to get started, but I never experienced any flow issues on the level you did. I'm sorry to hear that...it's certainly an interesting ink.

The majority of the time I use black ink. Right now I'm using Private Reserve Velvet Black.

I really like Monteverde Turquoise, it's stunning. Iroshizuke Yu-Yake is also very nice. I keep a pen inked with each of these colors as a back to my regular pen.

Private Reserve Velvet Black is a nice one.

Iroshizuke Yu-Yake--interesting the range of the Iroshizukes folks like.

J. Herbin Poussiere de Lune--Tastes vary! I am enamoured with that one!

Top Bottom