What's new

Joris Razors

strop

Now half as wise
I haven't seen these mentioned much in my relatively short time here. Supposedly a very aggressive razor. Anyone have any experience with them, especially compared to what I use currently, and EJ89 or Merkur HD?

As a partially related question...do open comb razors tend to shave more aggressively than a closed bar, such as Muhle 101 compared to the closed bar? Does this account for the more aggressive nature or is the geometry/blade exposure different in the Joris?

Thanks.

Mark

Last edited:
I haven't seen these mentioned much in my relatively short time here. Supposedly a very aggressive razor. Anyone have any experience with them, especially compared to what I use currently, and EJ89 or Merkur HD?

As a partially related question...do open comb razors tend to shave more aggressively than a closed bar, such as Muhle 101 compared to the closed bar? Does this account for the more aggressive nature or is the geometry/blade exposure different in the Floris?

Thanks.

Mark

Mark -

I think you are speaking of Joris razors. I don't own nor have I used one, so I cant help there.

As a general rule, Open Comb razors are not any more or less aggressive then safety bar razors. Just like safety bar razors, they run from extremely mild to very aggressive.

strop

Now half as wise
You are absolutely correct. I've edited the original post. Thanks.

Mark

As a partially related question...do open comb razors tend to shave more aggressively than a closed bar, such as Muhle 101 compared to the closed bar? Does this account for the more aggressive nature or is the geometry/blade exposure different in the Joris?

Thanks.

Mark

I have the Muhle 89R/Joris/Fatip open comb in my rotation. I learned the hard way until Harrie(Talibeard) told me to use blades thicker, and do not allow the blade to skip. I use a Barbasol in my rotation and the Muhle is nearly as aggressive as the Barbasol. A feather blade is too thin for my use in either one of these razors.

strop

Now half as wise
I have the Muhle 89R/Joris/Fatip open comb in my rotation. I learned the hard way until Harrie(Talibeard) told me to use blades thicker, and do not allow the blade to skip. I use a Barbasol in my rotation and the Muhle is nearly as aggressive as the Barbasol. A feather blade is too thin for my use in either one of these razors.

I'm only back to the modern world of DE shaving for a month. I learned to shave with a DE so it came back pretty quickly. I have no idea which blades are thin and which are thick. What would you suggest with the Joris?

Mark

Last edited:
The Joris OC-head is indeed identical to the previous Mühle R89 and Fatip head. Not the most aggressive razor out there but it comes close. Great for some but I wouldn't recommend it as a first DE though it will teach you how to use it very quickly when you are determined enough...:001_rolle

As others mentioned open combs are not more or less aggressive by nature; they are great though when you don't shave very often or want to get rid of a full beard (no trimming needed before you shave it off!). They are just a bit different and I love to use them.

The Joris OC-head is indeed identical to the previous Mühle R89 and Fatip head. Not the most aggressive razor out there but it comes close. Great for some but I wouldn't recommend it as a first DE though it will teach you how to use it very quickly when you are determined enough...:001_rolle

As others mentioned open combs are not more or less aggressive by nature; they are great though when you don't shave very often or want to get rid of a full beard (no trimming needed before you shave it off!). They are just a bit different and I love to use them.

I'm using one right now. It is on the more aggressive side, but not difficult to use. I find it very effective. Not what I would recommend as a first razor, but close to the top in performance for those who prefer more aggressive razors. That said, there are other aggressive open comb razors I like as much/nearly as much for a lot less coin.

I'm only back to the modern world of DE shaving for a month. I learned to shave with a DE so it came back pretty quickly. I have no idea which blades are thin and which are thick. What would you suggest with the Joris?

Mark

I cannot use feather blades in my Muhle razor, they skip or flex. I use the Gillette Yellows and the Astra SS.

It's my understanding that the current EJ89 and Muhle89 are identical, but differ from the older Muhle89. Is this accurate? I'm not familiar with the Fatip. Is this currently available?

What would you suggest?

Thanks.

Mark

This is the old Mühle/Fatip razor which is still available at some places. As Mühle it is out of production for over two years now but I am not sure if Fatip still makes them.

Top Bottom