What's new

Ever smoked cheese?

I tried this on my CharGriller a couple of times. I did some Gouda, Cheddar, and swiss. They turned out pretty good. The only problem I had was making sure it did not get too hot. If it wasn't such a sunny day I do not think I would have had that much of a problem. I used a handful of lump charcoal with a couple of small pieces of hickory in the side smoke box.

There are lots of folks on the Big Green Egg and Primo Forums that do it frequently. I am not that fond of commercial smoked cheese so I have not done it my self.

One of the successful mehods that could be done in any covered grill is to fill something like a soup can with the desired wood chips and stick a clean, new, electric soldering iron down in it to make smoke.

Never tried to do it myself, but there is a local store that does it and it turns out great. He says the secret is to make sure the rind of the cheese is hard and thick. Don't know how he does that! :bored:

I smoke cheese quite frequently. I go light on the smoke, usually use apple since it's mild, keep the temp low and I freeze the block of cheese first. It only takes a few minutes to flavor the cheese.

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
I usually put about 6 briquets of charcoal in a water smoker, along with some wood chips. I let the chunk of cheese smoke about 30 minutes or so. Always turns out good. I think I'll try a small amount of lump charcoal next time, with no wood chips.

All the time,cold smoke at 90ish degs/24 hrs,wrap the bricks and secure in cheesccloth.
Also love to make my own grating cheese,in a crock I put about a two in. layer of rock salt.
set the cheese on top of it, than cover with another couple inchs,ck after a couple weeks, may take a month depending on water content.

Legion

Staff member
I wasn't smoking it! My friend was! I was just holding it for him while he went to the bar! :a39:

Not helpful, I know...

Top Bottom