What's new

The Five Pass Test

For the last few shaves I couldn't get a decent lather so I decided to pay more attention and go back to basics.

This is what going back to basics means to me when preparing lather:

1. Soak the brush for 2 to 3 minutes in a cup (I never soak the handle).
2. Pour about a teaspoon of water over the puck of soap (Tabac) and leave for 2 to 3 minutes while washing face...etc.
3. Shake/squeeze (personal preference on how much) some of the water from the brush.
4. Lap the brush over the puck for 10 to 15 seconds.
5. Pour a teaspoon of water on puck, lap and repeat one more time for a total time of approximately 30-45 seconds.

I face lather and tested the following three brushes: Simpson Berkeley in Best, Simpson Colonel in Best, Shavemac 177 23mm Silvertip.

The brushes' size and density vary and all three passed the five-pass-test with flying colors. I have a lot of face and after five passes I had enough lather left for possible touch ups. The quality of the lather on the last pass was as good as the first pass.

In the next couple of days I will test other brushes including some boar brushes.

Anyone interested running your brushes through the five-pass-test, feel free to post your findings here. :thumbup:

Last edited:
This is what going back to basics means to me when preparing lather:

1. Soak the brush for 2 to 3 minutes in a cup (I never soak the handle).
2. Pour a tablespoon of water over the puck of soap (Tabac) and leave for 2 to 3 minutes while washing face...etc.
3. Shake/squeeze (personal preference on how much) some of the water from the brush.
4. Lap the brush over the puck for 10 to 15 seconds. Pour tablespoon of water on puck and repeat two more times for a total time of approximately 30-45 seconds.

Really, a tablespoon (edit: three tablespoons!)? Did you measure? That seems like a lot :w00t:

Can I ask why you dont soak the handle? Just dont want it in the hot water?

I can't speak for the OP, but I soak my brush in a bowl or mug, so the handle sticks up out of the water. I think it just isn't good for the handle material or the glue used in the knot.

But I have a question myself....who does 5 passes? I usually do 2, MAYBE 3. I can't imagine doing 5 passes with a straight

Really, a tablespoon (edit: three tablespoons!)? Did you measure? That seems like a lot :w00t:

Woops, I didn't measure. I think slightly less than a teaspoon would be more accurate. I'll edit the original post.

Can I ask why you dont soak the handle? Just dont want it in the hot water?

I believe soaking the handle damages the brush, especially if soaked in hot water.

I can't speak for the OP, but I soak my brush in a bowl or mug, so the handle sticks up out of the water. I think it just isn't good for the handle material or the glue used in the knot.

But I have a question myself....who does 5 passes? I usually do 2, MAYBE 3. I can't imagine doing 5 passes with a straight

I don't do 5 passes either. I did the 5 pass test to prove that even smaller brushes will hold enough quality lather for five passes.

Last edited:
Five passes did throw me off as well, I do three and find that acceptable for work...four for a special occasion...with regards to the water/soap ratio, it will differ between knots and soaps...some soaps are notoriously thirsty while the denser/larger knots will retain enough water to build decent lather without requiring additional water...your technique also plays into this...if you wring out the brush, you will need to add water before/during building your lather...

Most of my brushes will give 16-30 passes of decent lather but it gets pretty sparse after that:lol:

Cheers,

Ken

Woops, I didn't measure. I think slightly less than a teaspoon would be more accurate. I'll edit the original post.

That sounds better. Although, nothing would totally surprise me. This is the exact method I use for making lather. It works great for me.

After reading this thread, I thought I would try it out with my Berkeley. I loaded extra long on my GFT Rose puck and still got only my usual 3+touchups. I am amazed you were able to get 5 out of the Berkeley. I could have pushed for a full 4th pass but the lather would have been very thin and maybe not even shave-worthy.

That sounds better. Although, nothing would totally surprise me. This is the exact method I use for making lather. It works great for me.
I learned the method on one of the stickies. BTW I appreciate your posts in the Brush Chronicles.

After reading this thread, I thought I would try it out with my Berkeley. I loaded extra long on my GFT Rose puck and still got only my usual 3+touchups. I am amazed you were able to get 5 out of the Berkeley. I could have pushed for a full 4th pass but the lather would have been very thin and maybe not even shave-worthy.

After five passes with the Berkeley I pressed the lather out of the brush and it was still as slick as the lather on the first pass. I used Tabac soap so maybe that was the reason for the different results. I can get the five-pass results only if I follow the above steps.

Here's where I learned how to build lather. It's not a sticky yet, I don't know why. I found it very helpful when I first joined B&B.

I have tested the following boar brushes in the last couple of weeks: Semogue 830 made it to 4.5 passes. Semogue 1305 to 4 passes. The 610 is not broken in yet so I will give it another go in a few weeks.

Here's where I learned how to build lather. It's not a sticky yet, I don't know why. I found it very helpful when I first joined B&B.

I have tested the following boar brushes in the last couple of weeks: Semogue 830 made it to 4.5 passes. Semogue 1305 to 4 passes. The 610 is not broken in yet so I will give it another go in a few weeks.

It can be found under this sticky.

Lather making is a technique that requires mastery just like shaving. I can control the amount of lather by varying how much product I use. More than I need just gets washed away down the drain so I don't try to get enough for 5 passes since I only do 3 passes with maybe some touch up.

There HAVE been times when the lather on my brush began to get a bit thin before I had finished my passes. Also, in my region, right now, the relative humidity is in single digits (like 7%), so if/when lather gets a bit dry, I renew it.

When lather gets too thin on the brush, I just add more soap.

Is there some reason why the shave MUST be finished with the lather of the initial application to the brush?

Is this something important to shaving or merely an indication of brush and lathering proficiency?

There HAVE been times when the lather on my brush began to get a bit thin before I had finished my passes. Also, in my region, right now, the relative humidity is in single digits (like 7%), so if/when lather gets a bit dry, I renew it.

When lather gets too thin on the brush, I just add more soap.

Is there some reason why the shave MUST be finished with the lather of the initial application to the brush?

Is this something important to shaving or merely an indication of brush and lathering proficiency?

Not at all. Do what works. I frequently overload because I have too many soaps and am trying to use things up, so I usually have enough lather to shave a yak.

I dont know. People here on b&b are comparing brushes for soaps vs creams, bowl lathering vs face lathering just like as it was a space engineering. I've been wetshaving since from 17 and I just soak my brush for about half minute, sprinkle some water on the soap, lets say tabac, wait only half minute at max, swirl the brush maybe 6-7 seconds and face lather. This give me enough thick leather for more than 4 passes. If bowl lathering I just load the brush a bit more. But thats all. Loading the brush for 15 seconds, making lather for 16 passes, no offense but I really dont see the logic.

Every brushes of mine makes nice lather, doesnt care if they are premium, cheap, boar, badger, horse hair. I dont like making gobs of lather as I see it wasting the product. But other than that I really cant see a difficulty on making lather. Also superlathering? Good products, like taylors avacado already give superlather, dont see the need of it. Maybe for the average performing soaps ha?

Or Are all of these actions just for consuming the products faster, so new ones can be bought, again secretly from wife? :))

I get two 9almost three) passes with the Wee Scot, 4 to 5 with a medium brush (Savile Row 3120 size) and 6-7 with bigger brushes - no where near 16+ for me!

Top Bottom