What's new

What a Difference a Brush Makes

I've been shaving with AoS' "trial size" pure badger brush since I started this journey around January 2010. I still shaved with an M3 in those days, but I was using that brush, the AoS unscented cream that came with it, and VdH soap.

Recently, I restored two vintage brushes with knots from TGN (if anyone's interested, here's the thread: http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php?t=202599), and WOW, what a huge difference.

I didn't realize how "undense" my current brush was. I'm sure these knots aren't as dense as say, Simpson brushes, but it feels like a wall of hair on my face when I lather with either of these guys. That, and I get better, richer lather and it must prep my ugly mug better because I get no knicks, cuts or irritation. Even after several months of technique improvements, I was still getting more "oopsies" than I wanted to. In fact, I had resigned myself to only going ATG every other day. Now, it's no issue at all to go ATG every day.

The moral of the story is that using what probably amounts to even a middle of the road brush makes a WORLD of difference in my shaving routine. Not only am I getting better shaves, the experience is even more enjoyable, before, during and after.

Just a heads up to anybody out there riding the fence over shelling out a little cash on a brush. Mine was super cheap: $3.99 for each handle at an antique store, and about about $25 for each knot at TGN. A tube of $8 dollar epoxy and you're ready to roll. If DIY isn't your thing, though, I understand there are several good brushes out there in the $50 range. If you're serious about staying in this game for a while, you owe it to yourself to spend a little bit on a brush.:thumbup1:

+1 Good points, excellent restores. You can always end up buying a restored brush from the BST if doing it yourself just isn't you.
I've been shaving with AoS' "trial size" pure badger brush since I started this journey around January 2010. I still shaved with an M3 in those days, but I was using that brush, the AoS unscented cream that came with it, and VdH soap.

Recently, I restored two vintage brushes with knots from TGN (if anyone's interested, here's the thread: http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php?t=202599), and WOW, what a huge difference.

I didn't realize how "undense" my current brush was. I'm sure these knots aren't as dense as say, Simpson brushes, but it feels like a wall of hair on my face when I lather with either of these guys. That, and I get better, richer lather and it must prep my ugly mug better because I get no knicks, cuts or irritation. Even after several months of technique improvements, I was still getting more "oopsies" than I wanted to. In fact, I had resigned myself to only going ATG every other day. Now, it's no issue at all to go ATG every day.

The moral of the story is that using what probably amounts to even a middle of the road brush makes a WORLD of difference in my shaving routine. Not only am I getting better shaves, the experience is even more enjoyable, before, during and after.

Just a heads up to anybody out there riding the fence over shelling out a little cash on a brush. Mine was super cheap: $3.99 for each handle at an antique store, and about about $25 for each knot at TGN. A tube of $8 dollar epoxy and you're ready to roll. If DIY isn't your thing, though, I understand there are several good brushes out there in the $50 range. If you're serious about staying in this game for a while, you owe it to yourself to spend a little bit on a brush.:thumbup1:

Nice post and thanks for sharing your experiences. Whilst I am sure that your new brushes contributed a lot (after all this is the Shaving Brush Forum), your technique has, no doubt continued to improve and the confidence that you gain from having great lather on your face helps as well.
Keep up the great work!

Top Bottom