What's new

is there a aop 10 razor blade list???

Am just wondering if there is a top ten list of sharpness of the blades? I know that from what I have read the feathers are the top end of the scale but what is the absolute top 10 list??

This is just subjective enough that 5 gents will likely give you 7 different answers.
  • Feather's are typically regarded as the sharpest
  • Swedes, IP's, and Derby's will jockey for spots 2-4
  • Ratings of all other popular blades vary too dramatically for me to rank them. Further, the aforementioned 4 brands perform at such a superior level that I've stuck with them exclusively.

I've recently had very good shaves with made-in-England Wilkinson Sword blades, but not sure how to rate them as to sharpness. They seen quite sharp and smoother than Feathers. But, as Kyle says, individual shavers would give quite different answers---hence the blade sampler pack.

To further what Kyle said about multiple responses, I find the Swedish blades sharpest, but I also find that they give a very rough shave. Feathers are almost the same sharpness, but they glide so easily you'll never even feel it if you slice off the top of a bump. They're my favorite blades by far.

as Kyle says, individual shavers would give quite different answers---hence the blade sampler pack.

Although the LetterK sample pack is available in the UK, it may not be the best solution for Brits.

edit

Could this board give suitable prominance to that option for European members?

Gents thank you

I asked the question as I am new convert DE shaving and am still going through the learning process. I know, having used them last night, Feathers are the mac daddies. However for touch up shaves I don’t really want to use them in my Slant and thought something not as sharp as the feathers would be ideal, but what?

As my beard is tough type and the combo of Slant and Feather did the job (with a few nicks). I have a Progress and a Fatboy on standby with Merkur/Wilkinson/ Nacet / Gillette Platinum blades. I know for sure that I didn’t like the Merkur blades and Wilkinson & Nacet being the all rounder. I haven’t tried the Derby's yet but will do sometime soon.

Do you guys use the same blade for all shaves or change them?

I ask as my pattern of shaving is Thursday being the last shave of the week followed by a few days of rest and growth. On Sunday I have what I call my main shave of the week. This is followed by touch up shaves during the week. I assume even the dullest blades out there would be a lion when loaded into a slant?

I generally use the same blade regardless of razor. And for the Slant, you do indeed want a very sharp blade.

I do, however, do a certain amount of blade experimentation---and that I do without regard for the razor. That is, if I'm trying a new blade, I'll just pick a razor at random.

Brian, many thanks for the link to the blade sampler pack. I'll mention that henceforth, and also update the Guide to reflect the UK sampler pack as well as the US one.

yes i have brougth my first razor from suffolk spares and there service is 10 out 10!

i placed my order on a week night and by 5am the next day:scared: i had a email saying it had been posted. now thats what i call fast service.:wink2:

If you were just going by sharpness, it would be easy to do a top ten list. A scientific analysis would easily show you what the sharpest blades are. Of course, Feather would be number one.

But is sharpness that important? I find that I get worse shaves with a Feather as they are too rough on me. If put one in for the first shave of the week, and geta rough shave, then things are unpleasant for a couple of days.

I have had my best shaves with a Derby or an Israeli Persona blade. Derby's are number one in my opinion.

Top Bottom