What's new

Trimming Goatee and Mustache

Can someone give me some approaches on how to get either straight and looking well groomed using a DE, my biggest issue is I can't see around my hand and forearm while I'm shaving. This has always been a problem no matter what I was having with but you guys seem to be experts so I'm looking for opinions on how you guys do it. I'm sure not everyone on the board is clean shaven

Can someone give me some approaches on how to get either straight and looking well groomed using a DE, my biggest issue is I can't see around my hand and forearm while I'm shaving. This has always been a problem no matter what I was having with but you guys seem to be experts so I'm looking for opinions on how you guys do it. I'm sure not everyone on the board is clean shaven

I would recommend investing in a Parker shavette - I originally bought one to keep my chin strap neat (which is it excellent for) but have actually now ditched my DE completely on favour of it. They're very cheap and essentially straight razors that hold half a DE blade. They're easy to use if you're just lining up facial hair, the downside is that you may find that you become a straight razor convert :001_tt1:

Because the edge of the blade is easily visible it's very easy to get extremely neat, straight lines. Failing that I believe merkur actually make a razor specifically for shaping facial hair, but that's the more expensive option

I would hate to cut myself though. I just started wet shaving about a month ago, I'm still trying to get used to that

I use a variety of tools to shape and edge my mustache. I use an open comb razor as a primary tool. Shaving toward the hair you want to save seems to work well with an open comb. You can also shave away from the beard or mustache, but I don't shave across the edge. I also find an open comb works well to take a layer off, but leave the underlying growth. I have an electric trimmer that I use for shaping, particularly around my upper lip. I also have a small mustache razor which is good for getting into tight places. Finally, I have a sharp scissors, which helps too. I don't use all the tools on any one day, but I do some shaping about 3 or 4 times per week. Like DE shaving, keep practicing, and watch your blade angle. Good luck!

Another vote for the shavette here. I don't have any experience with the Parker, but I do use and like the Dovo shavette for keeping lines straight. Whenever I try to use a DE for shaping things up I can't get a straight line for anything.

I use a variety of tools to shape and edge my mustache. I use an open comb razor as a primary tool. Shaving toward the hair you want to save seems to work well with an open comb. You can also shave away from the beard or mustache, but I don't shave across the edge. I also find an open comb works well to take a layer off, but leave the underlying growth. I have an electric trimmer that I use for shaping, particularly around my upper lip. I also have a small mustache razor which is good for getting into tight places. Finally, I have a sharp scissors, which helps too. I don't use all the tools on any one day, but I do some shaping about 3 or 4 times per week. Like DE shaving, keep practicing, and watch your blade angle. Good luck!

do you carry a toolbox with you before a shave :lol:

I'm starting to think that the shavette might be my best best for what I want it to look like. After looking them up I'm pretty that's what my barber uses and I like the sharp lines it gives

Ok, thats a cheap short term fix. I'll see how that works. I think I will still have to use something else though. The head still covers up the view of the line I want.

If you're just doing a couple of little areas with the shavette it won't take too much getting used to :001_smile I never nicked myself with it until I started using it for a full shave, even then they're so sharp that they won't scar. Let us know how you get on!

Thanks guys I'm gonna go with the shavette, for what I would have to do it seems like a pretty inexpensive tool to get the look I want. Too bad I ordered a Parker TTO yesterday then thought about this today Oh well another shipping charge won't kill me

Top Bottom