What's new

Watch won't keep time

So 2 years ago, I bought 2 watches both of which I really love, but are causing me a bit of a headache.

Watch 1: My "personality" watch
TX-50002E: A 51mm Round, with Stainless Bracelet (face is the skull, but I had the leather band relaced with the steel bracelet from the other watch) I know 51mm is a little large but It looks good on me, and never fails to draw compliments from the ladies (especially my GF she LOVES this watch).

Watch 2: My "professional" watch
FS-4258: A Gunmetal/Taupe Fossil Arkitekt (I love this watch)

The Problem that I am having now, is that neither of these watches is keeping time properly-- I have replaced the batteries, to no avail, and now wonder if it may be something to do with me personally. I don't want to have to replace the watches, but I cannot keep wearing them if they don't keep time.

I wear my watch on the 'wrong' hand (I'm a righty and where my watch on my right hand) but I don't see how that would effect time-keeping ability. Any idea why this could be happening, or a solution? thanks in advance

Unfortunately, fashion watches don't last long. They usually last 5 years but it's not unheard of to last less.

Save your money and buy a quality timepiece.

I agree. I've had a Citizen watch that's been running for 20 years without issue.
It didn't cost an arm and a leg, only $150 at the time.
But it was a good watch for it's day and still keeps accurate time.

Quartz watches are notoriously long lived unless they are treated very roughly. I've seen cheap Chinese quartz watches that cost a few bucks and lasted many years. Shock, water, dust are killers of these watches.

what do you do for a living? Hobbies?

If your right handed, I guess the watch gets shaken around a bit more being on the right wrist but I don't think that is what caused your problems.

The Fossil you might able to send for repair. I am not sure what that is on the left.

The problem you are going to face is cost of fixing versus replacing. You might try a local shop and see if you can get an estimate. If the cost of repairing is anything near their value I'd go with the suggestions above and go watch shopping. Who ami kidding... Go watch shopping.

I'm a right-on-right watch wearer and have never had any problems with premature failure of the movement. This includes the lower-end Fossil watches I wore in high school and the Seikos and Citizens I wear now.

Maybe you just have a magnetic personality?

If you have the funds available... I would suggest a preowned Omega. Some vintage Omegas can be had for less than $700.00 and they will last and keep accurate time until you die.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
I wear my watch on the 'wrong' hand (I'm a righty and where my watch on my right hand) but I don't see how that would effect time-keeping ability. Any idea why this could be happening, or a solution? thanks in advance

I wear my watches on the 'wrong' hand ... by which I mean the right hand, not the left :tongue_sm ... and I suspect you are suffering from "watch hand reversal syndrome" whereby the mechanism inside the watch is affected by the reversed body motions (if I have explained that right) and so the functions of the watch hands are reversed. So now your minute hand is acting as your hour hand and your hour hand is acting as your minute hand. Try wearing the watch on your right left wrist for a few weeks and this problem should fix itself.

If I'm wrong, do what Austin said.

Problem with this type of watch is they are made in China or some third world country for pennies, so the materials and the movement quality is not there, especially the shopping mall timepieces, so it is hit or miss when you buy one:thumbdown.

You have not told us anything about the batteries that you used. Where did you get them.... brand?

There can be incredible differences in battery quality from the best brands to the cheapest cr*p. Also, some batteries sit for ages in a watch-department before you walk in and have your batteries changed.

Since there are few other options (the watches are too inexpensive to repair), I'd try replacing the battery with one that you know is first-quality and fresh.

I worked at a watch-shop and we were constantly throwing-away batteries that were too near to expiration. People didn't want to pay the labor/material price for a battery replacement and have the watch die within a few months.

Try fresh, first-quality batteries. You have nothing to lose but their cost.

If you have the funds available... I would suggest a preowned Omega. Some vintage Omegas can be had for less than $700.00 and they will last and keep accurate time until you die.

Wish that I could-- I'm still a student, but after I graduate, a fine watch will be among the first things I splurge on.

I wear my watches on the 'wrong' hand ... by which I mean the right hand, not the left :tongue_sm ... and I suspect you are suffering from "watch hand reversal syndrome" whereby the mechanism inside the watch is affected by the reversed body motions (if I have explained that right) and so the functions of the watch hands are reversed. So now your minute hand is acting as your hour hand and your hour hand is acting as your minute hand. Try wearing the watch on your right left wrist for a few weeks and this problem should fix itself.

If you were being fascetious, the jokes on me, but I don't understand how this is possible with a quartz watch, I thought everthing was battery driven?

You have not told us anything about the batteries that you used. Where did you get them.... brand?

There can be incredible differences in battery quality from the best brands to the cheapest cr*p. Also, some batteries sit for ages in a watch-department before you walk in and have your batteries changed.

Since there are few other options (the watches are too inexpensive to repair), I'd try replacing the battery with one that you know is first-quality and fresh.

I worked at a watch-shop and we were constantly throwing-away batteries that were too near to expiration. People didn't want to pay the labor/material price for a battery replacement and have the watch die within a few months.

Try fresh, first-quality batteries. You have nothing to lose but their cost.

Frankly, I'm not sure about the batteries used, after I baought the watches, my then gf demanded I get (and as a result paid for) the lifetime battery replacement plan at the shop they came from... i've been in once to have the batteres replaced and since they have to do it for free, I imagine that they use the cheapest, nearest to expiration batteries they have handy, but I have no actual knowledge of brand or 'freshness'

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd

Ian- that's your best post ever.

Top Bottom