Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: First Shave With a Fatip Italian DE

Default First Shave With a Fatip Italian DE

I had my first shave with a Fatip open comb DE tonight. I received this brand new razor as a PIF from a former member on the board here. This is an Italian DE, and I had never heard of it until now. It is a beautiful razor with a very nice finish and fairly hefty (on a par with a Merkur HD).

Really interesting shave. This thing feels really aggressive. I loaded it up with an Israeli Red Personna. When it was gliding over soap, very smooth. When I took strokes over non-soaped skin, I had the impression that I would scrape my face off if I wasn't careful. There seems to be a good bit of blade gap and exposure. I really thought I was going to end up with some severe razor burn, but incredibly, I got less irritation than I do with my New Improved. I got a very smooth shave.

I have only shaved with an open comb maybe 7-8 times, but I am liking this razor. I think Bullgoose had them, but I notice they are not offered right now. The price was ridiculously cheap (I think around $20) for such a nice razor. I read that the head on this razor is the same one that Fatip made for Muhle. I could see spending the money for a nice Cooncat Bob handle.

Count yourself lucky. I have been trying to get ahold of one ever since Bull Goose stopped carrying them and have so far been unsuccessful. Kudos to you for the luck. And if you should ever have an inkling of sending it on somewhere else... :)
    --Matt-- "Is this Heaven?" "No, it's Iowa."

Images

Quote Originally Posted by DVM2012 View Post
    Count yourself lucky. I have been trying to get ahold of one ever since Bull Goose stopped carrying them and have so far been unsuccessful. Kudos to you for the luck. And if you should ever have an inkling of sending it on somewhere else... :)
    You could get a Muhle R99. Same head.

Is this the same as the Muhle R-89 Old Style? (Sorry... stole the picture from David in Boston's recent b/s/t sale)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails attachment.jpg  
    Co-director of the Dept. of Redundancy Department

Now that I see them on the same post, the Muhle head looks heavier.
    Co-director of the Dept. of Redundancy Department

Quote Originally Posted by LiveOak View Post
    I had my first shave with a Fatip open comb DE tonight. I received this brand new razor as a PIF from a former member on the board here. This is an Italian DE, and I had never heard of it until now. It is a beautiful razor with a very nice finish and fairly hefty (on a par with a Merkur HD).

Really interesting shave. This thing feels really aggressive. I loaded it up with an Israeli Red Personna. When it was gliding over soap, very smooth. When I took strokes over non-soaped skin, I had the impression that I would scrape my face off if I wasn't careful. There seems to be a good bit of blade gap and exposure. I really thought I was going to end up with some severe razor burn, but incredibly, I got less irritation than I do with my New Improved. I got a very smooth shave.
    My favorite DE OC too: nice, smooth and mild shaver

Quote Originally Posted by acutao View Post
    Is this the same as the Muhle R-89 Old Style? (Sorry... stole the picture from David in Boston's recent b/s/t sale)
    Yes, down under they are known as Premax.

http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthr...?ltr=M&t=19179

The reviews of the Old R89 (open comb) are now mixed with the new R89 (with a safety bar)...
    Cheers, Luc - My Gear(Wiki) - Have a question, PM a mod. That's why we're here!

Quote Originally Posted by DVM2012 View Post
    You can buy one at http://www.fendrihan.com/ for $36.00. It is called the 89R. It has the Joris/Fatip head. It is nearly as aggressive as my Barbasol.

I bought two to save on shipping.

9. Default

I recently picked one up on ebay for a $25 BIN listing. I am really impressed and delighted with the shave this razor delivers -- it equals the ease and smoothness of my vintage French Le Coq open comb -- something that no razor has been able to do so far.........

Nice score !

Images

Quote Originally Posted by dalew View Post
    You can buy one at http://www.fendrihan.com/ for $36.00. It is called the 89R. It has the Joris/Fatip head. It is nearly as aggressive as my Barbasol.
    I picked up one of the Fendrihan "MUH-R99" razors this month. It does appear to be the pre-2009 R89, and it is a very aggressive shaver. So far I like it. Ever since March (month of open-comb razors) I have been enjoying the way open-comb razors pick up the flat-growing hairs on my neck, and this seems to be the best one yet.
    gear | FAQ | google B&B | vendor search | shaving jazz
    "...freckled corporals who had but lately begun to shave..." — C.S. Lewis, Perelandra

It is sooooo sexy. Cant wait for mine.
    be nice and clean, shave everyday and you'll always look keen..

The Fat-Tip is an aggressive beast.

Beauty for sure, and it oozes great shave just from the look of it.

The Fatip is indeed identical to the pre '09 Mühle R89. Very efficient razor but loss of attention while you shave might cause some nicks so stay focussed! Congrats on your score; though not really rare it is getting harder to get one these days and I am glad I have one in my collection.
    I must to the barber's, monsieur, for methinks I am marvellous hairy about the face

Seems nice razor:)
    Shave it, shave it, shave it ....like once Fad Gadget said...

I've had one of these for 3 years. It is definitely a great shaver. In fact,it's the only D/E that I use these days,when my S/E razors need a well earned rest.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by dalew View Post

I bought two to save on shipping.
    thanks, just picked one up with a few extras to get my free shipping.
    All evidence has been buried,
    All tapes have been erased,
    But your footsteps give you away.

Images

Any clue if these can be found new in the EU?

Quote Originally Posted by marcel View Post
    Any clue if these can be found new in the EU?
    Under a different brand (I think Fatip sold them to everybody..) and probably in the nickel-plated version I came accros this link in another thread. Before 2009 Mühle sold both as R89 (chrome plated) and as R41 (nickel-plated) but they were both Fatips with identical heads and slightly different handles.
    I must to the barber's, monsieur, for methinks I am marvellous hairy about the face

Images

In the Muhle R41 thread (new one, open tooth comb as Muhle for some reason decided to mix up all the type numbers and confuse us all) this one is mentioned:

To my not so trained eye, they look quite similar.

Shop: http://www.scharferladen.de/shop/aus...om-p-2430.html

Muhle R41 thread: http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthr...comb-R41/page5
    Have a nice day! - Wim