What's new

My Own Aftershave Recipe

1 cup everclear
1/2 cup witchhazel
2 tablespoons Glycerine
1 tablespoon Jojoba oil
10 drops Lavender EO
10 drops Peppermint EO

This stuff works like magic. I couldn't believe how moisturized my face felt afterwards. And the peppermint oil has a great cooling effect as though I'd added menthol. Very minimal burn as well. Here it is almost 12 hours after I put it on this morning, and my skin still feels soft and moisturzied.

I also tried a vodka based recipe, but I don't think I used a high enough proof as it would NOT evaporate like most Alcohol based splashes I've tried. And when I go to make more, I'm definitely going to add less Peppermint as it completely overpowers the lavender scent.

Home made is the way to go. I do my own sometimes. It's nice to be able to tailor the various properties to one's own preferences. I do scent with essential oils, moisturizing with glycerine and sometimes pure shea butter or even plain Aveeno moisturizer (adds a nice milky quality and also helps absorption), toning with witch hazel, and burn and evaporation/drying with 70% isopropyl alcohol. I know, I know... 'real' alcohol is the way to go, but I find that the isopropyl alcohol provides a nice drying effect during the summer months when my skin tends to get more sweaty and oily. If I want some tingle, I'll sometimes go with peppermint or menthol EO, but I also have some eucalyptus oil, camphorated oil, and oil of wintergreen I might try someday for an AS/bug repellent combo product for shaving while on a camping trip.:wink2:

1 cup everclear
1/2 cup witchhazel
2 tablespoons Glycerine
1 tablespoon Jojoba oil
10 drops Lavender EO
10 drops Peppermint EO

This stuff works like magic. I couldn't believe how moisturized my face felt afterwards. And the peppermint oil has a great cooling effect as though I'd added menthol. Very minimal burn as well. Here it is almost 12 hours after I put it on this morning, and my skin still feels soft and moisturzied.

I also tried a vodka based recipe, but I don't think I used a high enough proof as it would NOT evaporate like most Alcohol based splashes I've tried. And when I go to make more, I'm definitely going to add less Peppermint as it completely overpowers the lavender scent.

Cool!

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
wow, that sounds really cool. Do you just mix it cold, or is there cooking or aging involved?

wow, that sounds really cool. Do you just mix it cold, or is there cooking or aging involved?

I did let it sit for about 3 days before using it for the first time. Shaking it in the morning and in the evening. And of course, because it doesn't have any stabilizers or emulsifiers, you have to shake the whole thing REALLY good prior to use. Kind of like Ogallala.

Sounds like a good recipe.

I'd probably make it in a MUCH smaller batch, though. I don't know how long homemade aftershaves stay good.

I'd look to make maybe 3 oz. at a time, and adjust the proportions of the ingredients.

That's just me, though.

Oh, and you can make one without alcohol at all, if you're so inclined. I find that witchhazel plus aloe vera gel plus a little bit of glycerin plus a few drops of peppermint oil makes for a very refreshing mix.

It can also be used on mosquito bites, sunburns, etc., which you probably wouldn't want to do with your alcohol-based recipe.

I'd probably make it in a MUCH smaller batch, though. I don't know how long homemade aftershaves stay good.

With that much Everclear in it it should have a half life of about 500 years.

Is this recipe shaken or stirred?

Seriously though... I may have to try this, with less alcohol. Thanks for posting it.

I'd look to make maybe 3 oz. at a time, and adjust the proportions of the ingredients.

Yeah, I was basing it off of a recipe I saw online. They were using quantities for giving it away as gifts. And even here, I cut the recipe in half and it still made A LOT. I did add the jojoba oil to the recipe I saw and the EO's as well. They were just using straight up plain without scent.

Where does one buy these ingredients? I can drive across the state line into Idaho and get the Everclear (no biggie), but where do you get the rest? I have seen witch hazel in the stores, but the #1 ingredient is already alcohol in those.

Where does one buy these ingredients? I can drive across the state line into Idaho and get the Everclear (no biggie), but where do you get the rest? I have seen witch hazel in the stores, but the #1 ingredient is already alcohol in those.

I got my witch hazel at Target. No alcohol in it. Generic Target brand for about $1.50 I think. I would think if you got a WH with alcohol in it already, then you'd have no need to add any extra alcohol.

The EO's and Jojoba oil I picked up at Vitamin Shoppe for about $7 each. Glycerine I picked up at CVS (Walgreens/Rite-Aid). Mama Bears also sells EOs and for a LOT cheaper I might add. Mine were only .5 oz bottles and she sells them in full 1 oz bottles for roughly the same price I got mine for. I picked up several additional scents from her for me to use the next time I try this.

You can use vodka, just be sure and use a high-proof. 70 proof doesn't have a high enough alcohol content and so won't help with the evaporation effect.

Sounds good. I just bought some generic witch hazel from Wally World and was going to mix up something. I was thinking of adding some pure aloe to it. Have you ever given that a try?

Sounds good. I just bought some generic witch hazel from Wally World and was going to mix up something. I was thinking of adding some pure aloe to it. Have you ever given that a try?

I actually haven't tried that as this recipe was my first attempt at homemade. But I know I saw recipes online for ones with aloe. You might even try a search here before venturing to google.

I am seriously going to try this recipe out. Don't tell SWMBO that I don't need a whole pint of Everclear though! That'll give me something to sip on while it's curing. I wonder if it still taste as bad as it did in school? The first sip or two anyway...

Your secret is safe with me. :thumbup1:

I add aloe vera gel to mine. You can buy clear aloe vera gel at RiteAid or whatever. I just mix witch hazel, the aloe gel, a few drops of glycerin, and a few drops of essential oil for scent (I prefer peppermint, cause it feels good AND smells good).

Top Bottom