What's new

Weight Lifting Belt for general activities

I am looking for a back brace for activities such as bike rides, yard work, mowing the lawn, etc. I am thinking about trying a 5" weight lifting belt and was looking at a Harbinger and Valeo on Amazon. Can anybody tell me if these would be suitable? I have one of the larger back supports similar to the Mueller Back Brace and it's not really suitable for activities, it's ok for around the house and on long car rides, but it's too tall and digs into my sides when moving much.

Any advice on the two I mentioned or something that might work better would be much appreciated. I am trying to keep to $20-$25 if possible.

Is there a reason you need to use one? I tend to avoid them thinking that it will weaken the stabilizing muscles you'd otherwise be using.

I had a joint swell up and then a muscle seize up in January while I was at the gym. Ever since then I get a fair amount of lower back pain when doing certain activities. It's weird because I go to the gym 4-5 times a week and it's usually fine, but the day to day activities will occasionally result in a sore lower back when I'm done or the next morning.

Here's an example. On Saturday I was pulling weeds in the yard for 45 minutes, had a sore back an hour after I was done, and still a little sore on Sunday. This morning I lifted weights at the gym for 45 minutes and it's perfectly fine.

The belt isn't going to help with those activities. Getting soreness from bending over has nothing to do with blowing out your back from lifting heavy weights.

I have lower back issues and have a constant soreness most days. Stretches and core strengthening exercises I learned during physical therapy and a anti inflamatory regiment have helped me more than I can begin to say. The stretches are almost habit now, and the foam roll is just awesome.

Once, my PT made me slowly touch my toes ten times and then try to do this stretch where you bend back at the waist and I was all locked up. He showed me right then and there the problem, and x-rays confirmed it. It pretty much sums up to early onset osteoarthritis due to my years in sports, the gym, and military service.

My back pain is not from heavy weight lifting. I've always had a little bit of a lower back issue and it has gotten worse since I started working out over the winter. The joint/muslce injury I had came the next day after my first snowmobile ride of the year, which can be very hard on the back depending on conditions and how long you ride. I have been doing core excercises and stretching. I'm just looking for something that will help out with activities that I know give me a lot of soreness.

If you are going to go down this path, I'd recommend wearing it just tight enough that it makes you aware of your posture. A weightlifter's belt reduces stress on the lower back by compressing the abdominal cavity and prevents hyperextension. Used properly - it has to be tight - they aren't terribly comfortable.

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
Ever tried those neoprene velcro things people wrap around their waists for "spot fat loss"? Whenever I pull something in the back I use that for support and warmth. Less obtrusive than a weight belt, but still gives some semblance of support.

I would find out what exactly is causing the pain rather than just dealing with the symptoms if possible.

Top Bottom