What's new

Merkur 45 (Bakelite) vs Merkur Progress head designs

I really love the way my Merkur 45 shaves, but I wish it were more substantial...it feels like I'm shaving with a disposable.

I've read that the design of the head and the bend angle of the blade are similar to the Progress.

So my question is for people who have both: do they shave similarly?

These two have been my bread and butter razors for the last 6 months. I would have to say they shave differently. I, too, read that the head designs were similar, but I have to disagree somewhat. The bend on the Fakelite seems to be a little steeper.

To be honest, I bought the Progress hoping it would be a heavier version of the Fakelite, but it is certainly different. The Progress is a great razor but I find myself going back to the Fakelite all the time, though. There is just something great about the way it shaves. I also suspect that its lightness is part of the reason it shaves so well.

I would recommend the Progress, but if you love your Fakelite, I suspect the Progress will never be able to entirely replace it (YMMV, of course).

The 45 does have a certain something about it. It shaves IMO some how differently (in a good way) to regular metal razors. My interest in Wardonia is getting harder to ignor. Anyone know if you can use regular blades in a Wardonia?

I'm going to try it with a Bull Mastiff handle...it might be an awful combination to look at, but it might reveal whether the lightness is a key to its success. Of course that will only show what a handle-heavy 45 shaves like, but if the key is the feather-lite maneuverability, the BM will certainly put the kibosh on that.

I shall report back after a couple shaves.

Interesting idea. If the bull mastiff handle is too extreme, you might also try the handle from a Tech, NEW, or three-piece Merkur.

The BM experiement gave me a BBS but with a couple of weepers I don't get normally. Another couple shaves with it, then I'll try a lighter handle, then the original. But I'm beginning to think that the lightness may be inherent to the way this thing shaves. Dang it.

Why be upset about it? If it gives you a good shave, be happy.

I'v often wondered if the lightness wasn't also a key to the good shaves I always got with Bic sensitive disposables......

Oh, it's just that I love the look and feel of metal razors.
It's purely a non-rational emotional attachment to well crafted metal. Some of what attracted me to DEs was that they were so much cooler and substantial than the cheap flimsy disposables...and that's exactly what the 45 feels like to me. I'll also need to buy an extra, because eventually the plastic will get stripped.

Aluminum is light...

Last edited:
The lightness is the key with this razor. Shaved the left (easy) half of my face with the 45 head on a tech handle, then switched back to the Bakelite handle for the right side. Left side passable, right side easy BBS. I'll still mess around with it, but the preliminary findings are that the Merkur 45 as designed is a fine razor even if it feels like a dollar-store disposable in the hand.

Interesting. Thanks for the update.

I've been thinking about getting one of these because I really like the feel of the yellow Bic sensitive disposable; not the way it actually FEELS in my hand, but the way it SHAVES.

I wondered whether the bakelite razor would duplicate that shave but without my having to contribute to landfills. I may have to buy one to find out, I guess.

Interesting. Thanks for the update.

I've been thinking about getting one of these because I really like the feel of the yellow Bic sensitive disposable; not the way it actually FEELS in my hand, but the way it SHAVES.

I wondered whether the bakelite razor would duplicate that shave but without my having to contribute to landfills. I may have to buy one to find out, I guess.

It still shaves like a DE, so I don't know if it would be a like for like replacement. I recommend giving it a try, but aside from the weight, I'm not sure you will think of it in the same vein as the Bic.

Ok, this razor rocks...while I will try a Progress someday, for now I'm bowing to the superior shave this thing gives me and learning to like plastic. The razor got a bit of an acid test tonight. Visiting the inlaws now, and in the rush to get ready after work forgot my travel mirror. As I'm a shower shaver there was no mirror awaiting me. Used the 45 and Portland General Store shave jelly and shaved blind...and got a DFS with almost no irritation. I will keep the metal razors in the rotation but this will be the main beard removal tool.

It still shaves like a DE, so I don't know if it would be a like for like replacement. I recommend giving it a try, but aside from the weight, I'm not sure you will think of it in the same vein as the Bic.

Definitely not like a disposable, but more forgiving than most DEs.

Top Bottom