What's new

Aftershave newbie questions

I hate to risk asking a FAQ, but I'm just getting started here.

What are the essential differences between an aftershave balm and a generic moisturiser?

What is an astringent?

And since there appear to be several types of aftershaves with considerably different properties and purposes, why do they all get called by the same generic name "aftershave"?

How does a person know what kind of skin they have? (You can't easily compare it to anyone else's.) That's kind of important to know if you're trying to follow recommendations for different types of product.

I know, I know, I've gotta go read the stickies... :wink2:

What are the essential differences between an aftershave balm and a generic moisturiser?

What is an astringent?

And since there appear to be several types of aftershaves with considerably different properties and purposes, why do they all get called by the same generic name "aftershave"?

How does a person know what kind of skin they have? (You can't easily compare it to anyone else's.) That's kind of important to know if you're trying to follow recommendations for different types of product.

1-In my experience probably the biggest difference I noticed is ASB is thinner than most lotions and moisturizers, it also tends to have a more manly type of scent than most lotions. Some folks will use ASBs in winter when the cold tends to chap and dry out the skin a bit more.

2-An astringent is something that dries your skin, often removing excess oils. Alcohol and Witchhazel would be good examples of this. Most aftershave splashes are an astringent with maybe a touch of glycerin in them.

3-See 1 & 2. Mostly because they are marketing to men:lol:. Men will buy aftershave and aftershave balm, men probably not going to buy a "Soothing and Rejuvenating Daily Moisture Enhancing Face Massage Cream" or some such. The other reason is the description is correct, both ASBs and AS Splashes are post shave treatment, it just comes down to preference.

4-This only you can tell. Does your skin feel oily most days or does it feel dry? I happens to have an oily skin type so even after shaving and showering it doesn't feel dryed out so I tend towards AS Splashes as the excess alcohol is a little drying while still leaving behind a little glycerin. If you use body or hand lotions routinely as your skin feels dry then I would try an ASB as it will leave some extra moisturizing lotions on your skin.

The good news is most aftershave splashes and balms are fairly inexpensive at the X-marts, drugstore, or grocery so grab one or two of each that smell nice to you and give them a try. Hope this helps!

Jay

Last edited:
Top Bottom