What's new

Sandalwood AS

I received a bottle of AOS sandalwood preshave oil in a trade and really like the scent.

What's your favorite sandalwood AS?

I have D.R. Harris Sandalwood splash and SCS Sandalwood splash.

SCS is awesome! Pair it with her Sandalwood edt.

Unfortunately, due to its expense to the best of my knowledge there's no real sandalwood EO AS available. There used to be. It was an all-natural splash made by Nature's Gift. Aside from smelling like actual sandalwood, it was an incredibly healing splash. Alas, it seems that it's no longer being made.

If I had to pick a sandalwood splash, I prefer the old Floris Sandalwood to their Santal.
DR Harris Sandalwood is a gratifying performer as well.

Meaning that most are made from artificial scent?

Fragrance oils and/or aromachemicals, yes.

The one exception may be AoS's balm. Not sure if the scent is completely natural, tho. But if you want a naturally-scented splash, you're SOL.

I just finished a sample of "Edwin Jagger Moisturising AS Lotion" in Sandalwood. I did not care for it. In addition to it being a bit heavy (though not exactly oily) for my needs and preferences, it's not a very convincing interpretation of sandalwood. It lists "sandalwood oil" as an ingredient, but that's almost surely frangance oil.

However, it must be stated that the only other sandalwood product I've used, or even just smelled, is a Shave Den sample of TOBS Sandalwood shaving cream that I'm currently working my way through. The TOBS product smells much more sharp and dry, like the actual wood, whereas the EJ AS is very sweet, almost like a cheap box of sickly sweet wine... ummm, as opposed to the good boxes of wine:lol:.

If I had to pick a sandalwood splash, I prefer the old Floris Sandalwood to their Santal.
DR Harris Sandalwood is a gratifying performer as well.

How long ago did the "old" sandalwood cease to exist? I wasn't aware there was one before Santal.

Floris Sandalwood EdT was replaced by Floris Santal. I don't know exactly when it was cancelled but it's likely it was sometime in '06 or early '07 (please correct me if I'm wrong!). The talk was that it was replaced due to its main ingredient -- sandalwood oil -- becoming increasingly expensive & hard to source.

It's a very subtle, dry fragrance. The austerity of the sandalwood is apparent, but it's offset with a bit of jasmine ... there's even a coconut-like note in there. It stays very close to the skin. I like it a lot.

EDIT: I don't know if there was ever a Floris Sandalwood AS. Given the way they structure their product line, it seems likely.

Top Bottom