What's new

Diluting aftershave

Hey fellas,
Quick question about diluting an AS:
With a witch hazel/alcohol based AS, would adding a bit of witch hazel be likely to ruin anything with most aftershaves?

I'm looking to tone down the scent just a tiny bit, without losing the scent, or the healing properties. I have a few little bottles from samples, i'm considering trying this with, but I wanted to see what you guys think, and if anyone does this regularly.

If this were to be done, which witch hazel would you guys suggest, as being the most scent-free?

Awesome, thats good to hear. When I got back from school, and my mom saw the shaving collection i had amassed, she ran and grabbed an old school bottle of bracer that she had bought for my dad but he hated, and I really like the smell but it was a bit strong. So now that you mention that, I think that'll be my test bed, before I ruin any of my Ogallala I just bought! ; )
Thanks for the input, Mike!

I poured a few splashes of Thayer's medicated Superhazel into a spray bottle of Aqua Velva, and it changed the scent considerably. It smells good, but you know it isn't pure AV anymore.

Moral of the story? Make sure the WH you get is unscented :lol:

I used to mix Thayers Lavender WH 1:1 with an alcohol based ASL in order to cut down the burn, but I found that the combo took too long to dry and left my skin feeling sticky for a couple of hours.

Now, I just do a cold water splash, leave my face and hands wet, then pour a little ASL in my palms and rub it on. The water dilutes the burn just fine, and it dries in a few minutes.

As for diluting the scent ... most ASLs don't have a very long-lasting scent anyway, so just give it a few minutes and the scent should go away on its own.

I believe mixing witch hazel especially Thayers Unscented with any aftershave is an absolute benefit. I normally add it to Aqua Velva, Old Spice, Osage Rub, or any AS that has no "goodies" in it. It doesnt affect the scent at all and makes the performance shine.

I believe mixing witch hazel especially Thayers Unscented with any aftershave is an absolute benefit. I normally add it to Aqua Velva, Old Spice, Osage Rub, or any AS that has no "goodies" in it. It doesnt affect the scent at all and makes the performance shine.

+1 I do it in my palm, a few drops of a/s splash + a few drops of Thayers Unscented alcohol-free. Otherwise I find that it clouds the aftershave. You can always mix smaller quantities in a small travel size bottle for example, that would work too.

I usually do it with aftershaves that have too much alcohol in them.

Top Bottom