What's new

Civet Coffee pics - maker of world's most exclusive coffee

proxy.php
proxy.php
proxy.php
proxy.php

Included a couple links to Life magazine slideshows of the Weasel which is responsible for the world's most exclusive cup of coffee. These are some of better pictures of a Weasel coffee farming operation that I have ever seen. Just sharing them with you:

Say Hello to the Civet: The Maker of $600 Coffee
Yes, it's true -- this mammal, native to Africa and Asia, is responsible for pooping out the world's most expensive coffee, called Kopi Luwak. Civets are fed coffee cherries, and during digestion the animal's enzymes mix with the coffee beans before they, ahem, pass through, giving the beans a unique, bitter taste. See how it all happens...

An Animal That Poops Gourmet Coffee

How Civet Poop Becomes the World's Most Expensive Coffee
Before you down that pricey cuppajoe without a second thought, take a little time to think about how it got to the fill up your "World's #1 Grandkid" mug. Especially if you're drinking juice of the prized coffee beans known as Kopi Luwak, from Indonesia. Where did they come from? Why, a civet's bottom.

How Civet Poop Becomes the World's Most Expensive Coffee

I've ordered (unroasted!) arabica kopi luwak beans before. It was actually really good. The closest thing I've tasted to it is an aged sumatra mandheling.

Here is the interesting question-who was the intrepid man or woman that decided that making coffee from coffee beans ingested and then digested by a civet might make a good cup o' joe? I would like to know the answer to that one!

It's one of those "checklist" type things. The coffee experience was nothing special in my book, but you have to try it once. Earthy, smooth - but nothing a good Indonesian coffee doesn't already offer IMO.

the in-laws brought a bag back when they visited vietnam. good coffee, and definitely an experience worth trying, but nothing mind-blowing.

afterwards, i read somewhere that many coffees sold as civet coffee are chemically processed rather than "biologically." i have no idea which one i had, but i'd guess it was probably the chemical imitation.

I'd like to try this too. I have been looking on an "auction site" at some green beans, any tips on how to verify they are genuine ? Are there any reputable brand names for roasted beans ?

I suspect much of it is not legitimate, especially after reading recent articles about the supply/demand and temptation to make an easy profit. I received some Vietnamese Weasel last year but based on the price I know it was not legitimate, but could have been the chemically processed bean. That sample was very good and smooth but I can not say with any confidence whether it was the chemically simulated bean or just some other variety or different processing.

Here is the interesting question-who was the intrepid man or woman that decided that making coffee from coffee beans ingested and then digested by a civet might make a good cup o' joe? I would like to know the answer to that one!

Really! Who would ever thing to pick up a bunch of feces and say to themselves: "boy, if I just rinsed the crap off of those hard pellets, I bet I could make a really good cup of coffee"
having a hard time picturing how the light bulb went on in that brain...

My guess is that it was done by somebody who came across the "processed" greens and decided to wash 'em and roast 'em up, not knowing how they were "processed". Though, I gather you actually have some additional processing to do after the Civet is done.

I got some from RocketFuelCoffee.com, though I don't recall the circumstances leading to that vendor selection (particularly since they're in Canada). I recall no problems.

EDIT: AnimalCoffee.com sells GREEN Kopi Luwak, so you can do your own roast. The drop-down list beside the pouches includes a green option.
http://www.animalcoffee.com/products.php?cat=14

Last edited:
I have never tried it, but I am really not a fan. Just like aging fresh produce is a bad idea, aging green coffee is also a bad idea.

This is even worse, no matter how "desirable" the outcome. It's just wrong.

Even then, I'd be willing to try it.

Except for the fact that MOST sources keep the animals in cages. It is not what it is advertised to be. It is unethical (and I'm no member of PETA).

Stick with fresh, in-season coffees that are gimmick-free. Your palate will surely be rewarded.

Top Bottom