What's new

My new grill.

I posted in this thread that I got a new bbq. Today it came. an extra large Big Green Egg with a table.

I purchased it used, because it cost a less then a third of what I would have paid for it new. It needs a little TLC.

proxy.php

This is after some cleaning and moving it into my backyard. I have more TLC planned for it, but this is all its getting for today because I needed to get dinner going.

proxy.php

full

Chicken and potatoes.

full

The chicken looks like it might be burnt, it isn't. I used two different rubs on the chicken, Dizzy Dust on half and my own blend on the other half, both are pretty dark rubs. The potatoes have oil, salt, pepper and granulated garlic on the skin. I have never cooked potatoes on a grill before, they were excellent.

full

full

I have never used a ceramic cooker or grill before. It was surprising how quickly it got hot and how well it maintained the heat. I actually had a hard time keeping it below 400 F. As I get more experience with the grill that won't be a problem.

Tomorrow night it will either be chicken breasts or some pork butt I have in the freezer.

Saturday I'm going to put it through the paces. I'll either do a brisket using the hot and fast method or two chuck roasts, along with corn on the cob, and I might do baked beans on the Egg.

The previous owner didn't clean it out and it still had a bunch of lump charcoal in it. I cleaned out the ash and added three lumps of apple wood to give my chicken a nice smokey flavor.

I can safely say that this was an excellent purchase. With the plate setter it was ridiculous easy to cook the chicken with indirect heat and it was delicious!

Last edited by a moderator:
Congratulations!

Here is a good site to read all about cooking with ceramics.

http://www.nakedwhiz.com/ceramic.htm

You were cooking indirect (with the plate setter in place), but my favorite is to cook direct, with the grill in that high position (the felt line or the level of the lid).

The Naked Whiz will give you some ideas how to make a raised grate, but if you want some nice toys to do that and other stuff, look here:

http://www.ceramicgrillstore.com/

Thanks guys. This is what we are eating tonight.

A 12 pound brisket!

full

full

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey Shawn, what time is dinner? :w00t:

I'm hoping to pull the brisket at 1:30, let it rest for 2 hours. So I'll see you around 3:00?

Be forewarned that this is my first attempt at a brisket, so we could end up ordering pizza!

This looks great.

These Green Eggs were just introduced here and I have been keeping an eye on them since I learned about the introduction.

Pretty expensive though :001_huh:

Wim, they are pretty expensive. I made out by getting mine used. I paid substantially less then if I would have purchased it new. The salesman told me that they actually help sell a few used large eggs because people get the large and realize that they need the extra large so the store has a list of people who want to sell the large egg. It might be worth looking into.

Congratulations!

Here is a good site to read all about cooking with ceramics.

http://www.nakedwhiz.com/ceramic.htm

You were cooking indirect (with the plate setter in place), but my favorite is to cook direct, with the grill in that high position (the felt line or the level of the lid).

The Naked Whiz will give you some ideas how to make a raised grate, but if you want some nice toys to do that and other stuff, look here:

http://www.ceramicgrillstore.com/

Thank you for the link to the ceramic grill store. Lots of great stuff at reasonable prices.

I've been thinking about one of those for a while. But down here in Texas I think those count as heresy! If it's not a pit with a firebox on the side then it's simply not a bbq!

Still....nice score....keep us posted on how the brisket turns out.

Good luck Shawn!

Let the meat tell you when its done, forget 1:30!

That's pretty much where I'm at right now. The meat is 189 F internally. I'm going to let it hit 195 and then start probing it. Then I'll wrap it in foil and put it an ice chest for a few hours.

I had some problems with the grill getting hotter then I wanted. I finally got the temperature under control, but it took me a while. I have the vents opened just a crack, the fire box vent is open less then half an inch and the top vent is open right at half an inch.

I've been thinking about one of those for a while. But down here in Texas I think those count as heresy! If it's not a pit with a firebox on the side then it's simply not a bbq!

Still....nice score....keep us posted on how the brisket turns out.

There are many forms of smokers. Mexicans smoke/bbq barbacoa in a hole in the ground. It's all good.

Top Bottom