What's new

Keychain Knife?

Similar to the EDC thread, I'm looking for recommendations for a decent quality knife that could be used as a keychain. It doesn't have to be tiny or anything, but I'd like to keep the closed length less than 4" with a non-serrated blade 3" or less. Also, it need not be a dedicated "keychain knife" as long as it has a lanyard hole that can accommodate a keyring. Pocket clip is okay, but not a necessity. I was looking at some of smaller Kershaw Folders, but wondered if there are some other options I should look into around the $30 mark.

Kershaw and Buck make some small under 3 inchs lockback with a factory hole drilled in the handle so you can attach it to your key ring.

My wife has one I got her and she loves it.

Always with my keys, easy to sharpen and it keeps a good edge. The tweezers and toothpick are as handy as the blade. I gave one to my wife to keep on her keyring also.
(Ok, I gave it to myself for the times when I drive her car I don't want to feel naked.)

I've had a Swiss Army knife for years. No doubt it's an option, but I'm looking for a more durable blade than anything else. Besides, the only tools I've used other than the blade are the corkscrew and the bottle opener. :001_tongu

If you outline the features you desire, it would help with making a recommendation.

Keychain- got it.
Non serrated- right on
Does it need to be one hand opening?
Are you thinking multiple tools and features or just a blade?

How do you envision using the blade? Cutting tags off of clothes? Opening stubborn sunflower seed bags? Cutting food? Light wood processing? Processing game and fish? Stabbing baddies in the throat?

If you outline the features you desire, it would help with making a recommendation.

Keychain- got it.
Non serrated- right on
Does it need to be one hand opening?
Are you thinking multiple tools and features or just a blade?

How do you envision using the blade? Cutting tags off of clothes? Opening stubborn sunflower seed bags? Cutting food? Light wood processing? Processing game and fish? Stabbing baddies in the throat?

• One-hand/assisted opening would be nice, but not a necessity
  • Definitely lock blade
  • Not a typical, tiny "pen knife"
  • Lightweight, but still a sturdy blade worthy of holding an edge
  • Additional tools not a necessity, but a bottle opener would get some use

I work in an office setting, so I don't need something that can whittle wood or anything.

Your main limiting factor is the money.

I'd search Gerber, Kershaw, Buck, or Spyderco websites for something you might like and go to SMKW and find it.

Your main limiting factor is the money.

I'd search Gerber, Kershaw, Buck, or Spyderco websites for something you might like and go to SMKW and find it.

Thanks for the advice. There's "budge " in "budget". What do you have in mind?

I've looked at the various websites for you, I've got a lot of favorites but I'm not seeing anything that meets your 3" $30ish criteria any better than the Kershaw Scallion or Leek. I have a Scallion in my regular rotation, it is great. I'd recommend it to anyone.

http://www.kershawknives.com/productdetails.php?id=2&brand=kershaw

http://www.amazon.com/Kershaw-Onion...=sporting-goods&ie=UTF8&qid=1305889230&sr=1-8

http://www.amazon.com/Kershaw-Onion...=sporting-goods&ie=UTF8&qid=1305889230&sr=1-1

Thanks for the suggestions. I've decided to go with the Kershaw Leek. Purchased from Amazon, as their prices are nearly identical to those offered on eBay.

The Buck Metro makes for a handy little keychain knife with a solid bottle opener. I'm not sure which I use most. Probably the knife. Or the bottle popper. :D
proxy.php

Top Bottom