What's new

What Gillette Slim Adj. setting is like Edwin Jagger?

JCinPA

The Lather Maestro
I have been wet shaving for a week and doing great with my Edwin Jagger DE86. I see on the Wiki blade gap chart its gap is like the Gillette set between 4-5. But, I've since learned there is much more to it than that, and the EJ is described as a 'mild' razor. The head is made by Muhle.

Anyone have an EJ and a Slim Adjustable? What do you think is the closest setting? I am dying to try my new Gillette. If I don't hear from anyone, I'll try a #3 and see what happens.

Thanks!

John

I have an EJ DE86 and a Slim Adjustable. I find it more like my Slim at 2-3. I may be biased as I've never been a fan of EJ razors.

Codfish

Hmm...

The EJ is a bit heftier than the Slim. More than that, the weight balance is more head-heavy in the Slim owing to the lighter handle.

Those two factors make it so that the Slim seems less aggressive to me, even at the same blade exposure (which according to the chart is around 4).

I use my Slim at 4 and 5. The higher setting is closer to what I get out of the EJ.

JCinPA

The Lather Maestro

That's the one I mentioned but I called it a blade gap chart. In another thread it has been clarified that is ranked by 'blade gap' -- which is only one part of the aggressiveness equation, which is why I asked. Some of the mods are considering renaming that resource to "Ranked by blade gap" as opposed to "Ranked by aggressiveness". Stay tuned to see if they do something there.

Anyhoo, on that chart it says 4-5, but from the above I'm thinking 3-4. I appreciate the responses and I will try it on 3 and 4, but I am confident either will be in the ballpark.

Thanks again.

John

I couldn't have said it better.

EJ just toomild to shave with for me. Beautiful construction though

I have an EJ DE86 and a Slim Adjustable. I find it more like my Slim at 2-3. I may be biased as I've never been a fan of EJ razors.

Codfish

Top Bottom