What's new

Simpsons: Berkeley or Duke?

Which does everyone prefer and why? I'm sort of hanging on the fence and would like to hear some opinions of board members. The nuances between the Dukes 2 & 3 would help as well. As for me, I generally lather my Cella or Valobra in a shallow shaving dish, but I'm not averse to the occasional cream or deeper bowl.

Used my Berkley for the first time this morning...but, it was a great brush...handle was a very comfortable size and shape (almost the same handle as the Duke just smaller really).

The Duke splays/blooms less than the Berkley, which has a pretty decent bloom, and seems larger on the face than it really is.

I have a Duke 3, so it has 3mm larger knot than the Berkley, but because it doesn't splay as much, it doesn't "feel" that much bigger.

If money is an issue, go with the Berkley (1/2 the price of a Duke 3).

What about you? Do you like big brushes? Or, small? Do you like more lather than you'll ever need for one shave? Or, just a normal amount?

What about a Colonel X2L? It has a longer handle, more suitable for bowl lathering.

If I could have decided between the Duke 2 and 3 I would have bought one six months ago. When I wasn't able to decide between the Dukes, I bought a Berkeley simply because I had $50 sitting in my paypal account and wanted something new. The Berkeley became an instant favorite when I realized that I much preferred it's 20mm knot over my bigger brushes with 22mm knots. The Berkeley is big enough to bowl lather, but it's converted me to face lathering. I haven't ruled out a Duke down the road, but first I'm trying out a couple of Simpsons smaller knot brushes.

good luck finding a Berkeley. they seem to be out of stock everywhere.

that says something there :thumbup1:

id take the Berkeley over the Duke 2..now if it was a Duke 3 hmmm that would be a way harder decision.

Last edited:
The Duke has more backbone than the Berkley. I think it's because the knot is a bit denser. The Duke will work better with Cella. They're both great brushes with beautiful handles.

Last edited:
I have a Duke 3, whom I address respectfully as "the Archduke." :wink: His lordly mien is misleading, however: he's more than willing to throw down in any situation, be it bowl, face, or scuttle, and will teach any soap or cream that steps out of line a serious lesson.

The Berkeley is a recent addition to my rotation. He's much less pugnacious, but makes up for it with his quiet precision. Perhaps he's a little more suited to face lathering because of his proportions. But don't let him hear that! He's a deadly and versatile brush in his own right.

I think it would be hard to go wrong with either one.

I have a Duke 3, whom I address respectfully as "the Archduke." :wink: His lordly mien is misleading, however: he's more than willing to throw down in any situation, be it bowl, face, or scuttle, and will teach any soap or cream that steps out of line a serious lesson.

The Berkeley is a recent addition to my rotation. He's much less pugnacious, but makes up for it with his quiet precision. Perhaps he's a little more suited to face lathering because of his proportions. But don't let him hear that! He's a deadly and versatile brush in his own right.

I think it would be hard to go wrong with either one.

Do you happen to have a picture of the two side by side?

Thanks!

Ravenonrock

I shaved the pig
Get it and don’t look back. I like my Berkeley, my first Simpson brush. The affordability narrowed my choices. I like it just fine, but I like other brushes too. Different brushes for different things. Just got a Trafalgar T3 synth, that thing is huge and miles away from a Berkeley. There are things about that brush I like. Guess I’m saying there’s lots to like about a Berkeley, so get it and get the best use out of it. Is it going to be your last brush ever? There’s lots of fine brushes out there.

Top Bottom