What's new

Figured out my problem

I just went back to my Merkur 38c for the first time in a couple of months and all I can say is: wow! I haven't had a shave that nice and irritation free in, well, about 2 months. The key for me is the weight of that razor. I'm not even tempted to use any pressure; I can just let the weight of the razor do all of the work.

Now I realize I was using way too much pressure with the fatboy, slim, et, al. It seems like such a simple concept, but it really is true: too much pressure leads to irritation, especially for me on my neck.

I think I'll stick with my 38c for a while.

BigFoot

I wanna be sedated!
Staff member
Some great advice there.:thumbup1: To everyone else when you are 1st starting out stick with the same razor until you have the basics down. The less variables the more success you will have. The only thing I changed for a long time were blades.

Yes, I feel like I took a step forward tonight. I was complacent with my technique after a couple of months DE shaving. At least I seem to have the pressure issue corrected.

After my first handful of good shaves I too got lazy but it is amazing how much better they get every time!

I just went back to my Merkur 38c for the first time in a couple of months and all I can say is: wow! I haven't had a shave that nice and irritation free in, well, about 2 months. The key for me is the weight of that razor. I'm not even tempted to use any pressure; I can just let the weight of the razor do all of the work.

I think I'll stick with my 38c for a while.

I'm glad you posted this. I abandoned my 38C as "too mild" in my early days, and then found months later how good it really is. My technique needed some maturing. I should have stayed with it because it might have taught me more quickly. I now re-visit the Techs, Super Speeds and other razors I abandoned and really enjoy them. It took a while for me to find the blase(s) that work best for me (Iridium Super and Astra SP).

Thanks,

Codfish

Top Bottom