What's new

Merkur 38C TOO aggressive?

Hello,

I'm only about six shaves into wet shaving, and i am so in love i actually plan and look forward to my next shave. I started with a futur and progress, they are absolutely awesome, i love the sound and feeling. Best of all no irritation. I loved this new form of shaving so much last week i ordered two new razors, the merkur travel, and the 38c. The travel because i liked how small of a package it is, and i would like to take it on business trips where all i have is a carry on bag. I tried the travel on my first shave after a battle with the futur on 4 and a feather blade (bad badd badddddd idea). I had to wait five days for all the scabs to be gone, so i tried the open comb, travel. My god, it was prob. the best experience since i started wet shaving. Nothing changed besides the razor and blade. I used a merkur because after reading found out feathers are mean. thinking i had nailed my technique i went with the 38c on my shave sunday, and it was horrible. I butchered myself, and i still have a bloody towel to show it. That is how bad it was i had to use a towel to get the blood off my head. i pretty much cut every non flat surface off my head. I used a merkur blade, i spent alot of time with my lather, and i put lots of oil on. I'm not sure what happened because i heard such good things about the 38c being good for a noob. After my experience it does not seem that way.

I thought it was worth noting that my best most consistant shaves are with the futur, and progress long handle on 1. I go against the grain, and usually only need one pass.

Please tell me what you guys think, i love the look of the razor and love my collection so i would like to use them all equally.

Last edited:
It's most likely your technique, you have to be more careful with your angle and pressure.
I'm only two weeks into DE-shaving myself and manage to do allright with a 37c slant, so just pay more attention to how you shave. :001_smile

do you go do multiple passes progressively lowering stubble, or do you go against the grain from the beginning?

I think most might rate the 38 at medium aggressiveness--tho I did not find it that aggressive.

With only 6 shaves in, it is definitely your technique. Perfect your technique first--it takes months--and then try the razor with some different blades. Honestly, I'd stick with the razor you get the best results with for a while.

Your problem is you need to shave in at least two passes. Shave with the grain then re-lather and then shave against the grain. Some will do three passes by throwing in a accross the grain pass in between. Go to walmart and buy some Wilkinson blades, they are very forgiving (my favorite)

The Merkur 38c is about the same as your progress onn 1.5 in my opinion. I have a progress and a merkur 1904 (same head as your 38c)

Good luck

An against the grain pass is the one most likely to cause irritation. Most people here do a multi-pass approach, using a very, very light touch. Go with the grain first, then against the grain or diagonal, and if there is any stubble left, clean it up with an against the grain pass. A DE razor is a beard REDUCTION tool, not a removal tool... just focus on gently reducing the beard with each pass.

Open comb razors are especially helpful in coping with several days growth, but may be too agressive for everyday use. YMMV.

Stick with it and you'll start getting consistently good shaves.

Make sure your lather is up to par, use NO pressure, go in passes, and go slowly. Its different from cartridge shaving, and a bit more challenging, but well worth the effort once you get the hang of it.

Your problem is you need to shave in at least two passes. Shave with the grain then re-lather and then shave against the grain. Some will do three passes by throwing in a accross the grain pass in between. Go to walmart and buy some Wilkinson blades, they are very forgiving (my favorite)

The Merkur 38c is about the same as your progress onn 1.5 in my opinion. I have a progress and a merkur 1904 (same head as your 38c)

Good luck

this is exactly what i was wondering, i went to wiki shave to compare blade angle and exposure on the 38c to the futur and progress. I can go on the progress to about 3 no problem. the futur i can barely get out of 1 without blood shed. the 38c though, i didnt even finish shaving i had to go back to the progress, and finish up.

It must be routine, because it was horrible. i just dont understand why a progressi can go to three, and the futur i cannot go pas 1.

An against the grain pass is the one most likely to cause irritation. Most people here do a multi-pass approach, using a very, very light touch. Go with the grain first, then against the grain or diagonal, and if there is any stubble left, clean it up with an against the grain pass. A DE razor is a beard REDUCTION tool, not a removal tool... just focus on gently reducing the beard with each pass.

Open comb razors are especially helpful in coping with several days growth, but may be too agressive for everyday use. YMMV.

Make sure your lather is up to par, use NO pressure, go in passes, and go slowly. Its different from cartridge shaving, and a bit more challenging, but well worth the effort once you get the hang of it.

my first shave i was very slow and gentle, and i did three passes. with sideways and against. and had no irritations but a few nicks. next shave against the grain very careful with very small and slow passes kind of like raking leaves, you go over a small patch a few times in slow short strokes. This has been my technique since because it produced no irritation at all and but one nick. the 38c though, complete failure. it might have been because i got so comfortable and brazen about my technique since i had no cuts in over three shaves.

The adjustment numbers on the Future are in no way associated with the numbers on the Progress. Two complete different scales of aggressiveness.

Six shaves, four razors, at least two blades, all ATG? Are you serious?

Do yourself a favor. Slow down, take a breath, and read a tutorial.

In my opinion, you're moving way too fast. Equipment is 20% of a good shave. The rest is prep and technique. It's time to develop an approach that doesn't lead to blood loss.

Codfish

Last edited:
I find that the 38c is about equal to the Futur on 2.5. I get the most consistent shaves out of either razor.

Six shaves, four razors, at least two blades, all ATG? Are you serious?

Do yourself a favor. Slow down, take a breath, and read a tutorial.

In my opinion, you're moving way too fast. Equipment is 20% of a good shave. The rest is prep and technique. It's time to develop an approach that doesn't lead to blood loss.

Codfish

sometimes i believe i am more capable/smarter, than i really am. The first few shaves went well, and i love how cool they are. They look like surgical instruments. you don't have to have a skill to appreciate the beauty of something.

Slow down, friend! As others have said, check out a tutorial. Mantic's videos are very good.

That 38C is a treasure to me. I learned over time how to use it. And I've found that Kai and AsSPlat don't work well in it.

Make sure your technique is consistent. Then you can see if a change of blade may be necessary. :001_smile

The Count of Merkur Cristo

B&B's Emperor of Emojis

my first shave i was very slow and gentle, and i did three passes. with sideways and against. and had no irritations but a few nicks. next shave against the grain very careful with very small and slow passes kind of like raking leaves, you go over a small patch a few times in slow short strokes. This has been my technique since because it produced no irritation at all and but one nick. the 38c though, complete failure. it might have been because i got so comfortable and brazen about my technique since i had no cuts in over three shaves.
jpmunozz:
I also tend to agree that your technique (blade angle and little to 'zero' pressure), may need to be improved, because going over "a small patch a few times in slow short strokes" is not (in my opinion), good technique (but tends to leave persons with a unpleasnt shave), but what you are striving for (and yes...it's hard to change this cart technique), is using short strokes and 'stifling' the habit to 'go over' the same spot when there's no lather there to cushion the blade.

Think of it this way, I do 2 passes (WTG & ATG with my 38C "Merkur; Solingen quality, Time-tested Tradition with Modern Design".
proxy.php
), and try really hard to begin my next short stroke at the point where I ended the last stroke....and not begin that short stroke on bare skin I've already shaved. :blush:

Member Mantic ("Saving the world, one face at a time. Check out my shaving videos" Mantic ), has a great collection of shaving videos that could shed some light and be some help / learning in regard to your DE experience. :thumbup:

Don't forget...take your timebecause DE shaving is a great journey and not a race. Jusy my
proxy.php

http://www.youtube.com/user/mantic59

Christopher
proxy.php
"A razor [blade] can't be sharpened on a piece of velvet." Author Unknown

Last edited:
sometimes i believe i am more capable/smarter, than i really am. The first few shaves went well, and i love how cool they are. They look like surgical instruments. you don't have to have a skill to appreciate the beauty of something.

Race cars are cool and beautiful, too. It's best to learn to drive before using one, though.

Codfish

Top Bottom